About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Just Finished Reading: Hegel – A Very Short Introduction by Peter Singer

GWF Hegel was undoubtedly one of the most important European philosophers of the 18th Century and had a huge influence on the ideas on the 19th and 20th Centuries particularly through the works of Karl Marx. His influence probably stemmed from his strong belief – hardly questioned at the time – that history itself operated with a purpose to ultimately produce the perfect society and the perfect people to live in it. He proposed that few men are truly free because they do not understand the world or themselves sufficiently and are, therefore, victims of strong emotion and avoidable ignorance. Hegel proposed that each human mind is but a small piece of universal mind which strives through history to understand itself. It is this mind, this spirit, that drives history forward. The universal mind is central to Hegel’s thinking and much of his philosophy flows from it.

Singer has managed to produce, in a scant 113 pages, a decent overview of one of the most influential – and to be honest most opaque – philosophers of recent times. I’ve come across some of his ideas before but have tended to shy away from them appreciating how difficult he can be to understand. Whilst not exactly fear free I am, at least, more open to ‘having a go’ at Hegel in the future. I think he’s quite important to get a handle on given his influence on both Mark and Nietzsche. It might indeed be argued that without at least an appreciation of Hegel it is difficult to truly understand the modern world. That being said you should expect to hear more about him – if not actual books by him – in the future. A recommended book for those who have thought about investigating Hegel but were unsure how to start.

4 comments:

Sabio Lantz said...

Good review & nicely written. I put an order in from the Library. Like you, I have wanted to read him a bit, so second-hand is better than nothing. I need a picture of him because I plan to read Peter Rollin's stuff and he is in the Hegelian line.

Thanx again

CyberKitten said...

Thanks Sabio. Glad you found my Blog. Sorry for the intial confusion.

I finished a Philosophy course recently so you'll find plenty of philosophy book reviews here over the past two years and likely for years to come. My interests ATM are history and politics but I'm sure I'll find time for the odd philosophy book along the way...

Welcome.

Sabio Lantz said...

Great to visit -- thanx for the welcome. I shall be back.

Suggestions:
a) you might consider switching to "Wordpress" -- much better blogging tools.
b) Or, perhaps blogspot offers a template where you can show a the archives of past posts. As it stands, it is tough to go through your past posts, search through them or get a list of what you've written on.
c) If you can create archive posts and list them on the side that point us to your favorite posts, that may be helpful

Just some thoughts.
Again, thanks for the welcome !

dbackdad said...

I've never actually read any extended analysis of Hegel or anything by Hegel. All my exposure to him has been indirect through those he has influenced (positively or negatively): Marx, Sartre, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, etc.

I'll look this book up.