About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Just Finished Reading: Quantum Theory – A Very Short Introduction by John Polkinghome

As part of my ongoing project to both widen and deepen my knowledge base I’ve been buying a selection of the ever growing list of VSI books. This is my first of the new batch – basically anything beyond the VSI philosophy books I’ve been working my way through until now.

I’ve had more than a passing interest in the very weird world of the Quantum for some time but haven’t managed to finish more than a few books on the subject. As I don’t really have that much of a background in the sciences it can be a little difficult getting into subjects like this – especially when even a half page of mathematical equations reduces my brain to mush. Thankfully there were only a few pages of professor Polkinghome’s book that required any math at all. Those I must admit I did pretty much skim over. The rest was math free and readable enough to keep me plugging away at the strangeness to begin to see some sort of comprehension dawning. I’ve still got a long way to go to get a real handle on this stuff but I think this book helped me to take a few baby steps in the right direction. Quantum physics, I think, holds the potential answers to some of the very big questions I see asked on the Web. I think it might answer how the Universe began. It might even say something about the origin of life and might explain some aspects of consciousness. But as this book quite clearly spelled out, we have a long way to go before we truly understand Quantum reality. Hopefully I’ll come across a simple book explaining the results when we finally do understand it! More VSI to come and more quantum mind stretching….

4 comments:

dbackdad said...

I actually took quantum physics my senior year in college. It's odd stuff. Basically it tries to quantify that which cannot easily be quantified. That's why Einstein wasn't a big fan of it. He wanted an elegant solution for everything (don't we all?) and quantum physics is almost philosophical in nature. It speaks of things not actually existing unless we are looking at them (Schrodinger's cat).

But it has been proven again and again to fit experimental data.

I used to understand the mathematics of it but I lost that knowledge a long time ago.

Thomas Fummo said...

I want that book now.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: I actually took quantum physics my senior year in college. It's odd stuff.

It certainly is. We touched on it briefly in High School. My College and University studies went in another direction...

dbackdad said: It speaks of things not actually existing unless we are looking at them (Schrodinger's cat).

Indeed. The Copenhagen Interpretation is most intriguing....

dbackdad said: But it has been proven again and again to fit experimental data.

Yup. QM is one of the most succesful scientific theories ever.

TF said: I want that book now.

Your university library should have it. Failing that it's only £7.99 [grin] A bit off your chosen subject though.....

Karla said...

How does this book do for laying a basic understanding of the subject? Is there a different book you would recommend for getting one's feet wet on the topic?