About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 07, 2009

Thinking About: My Childhood

I may have mentioned before that I have few memories of my early years. In fact I can remember very little of my life before I reached puberty. It crossed my mind, at least for a while, that maybe I had suffered some kind of abuse and that I had blocked out whole chunks of my early life because I really didn’t want to remember them. On further reflection I decided that I simply wasn’t paying that much attention to things happening around me.

My earliest memory was I think my first day at school so I must have been 4 or 5. It’s only the briefest of things but it does seem very vivid even today. I can only imagine that I must have literally sleep-walked through the first 4 years of my life and only had the briefest of awakenings after that until I had enough testosterone in my bloodstream to keep my brain active enough to record events in my day-to-day existence. I certainly remember a number of incidents in the 7-10 year age range including almost being killed by a speeding car. That’s the kind of thing you tend to remember long after the event itself. I also had my first encounters with girls around then so things got a little more vivid for me.

It was only really after I started High school at age 11 that I started laying down regular memories. I know that I had a huge crush on the girl next door that, fortunately, never really went anywhere. I really dodged a bullet there. I remember being bullied early on but that passed as the bullies and I went our separate ways. I remember good friends and good times and the girls I wanted who didn’t want me. It was all very teen angst cliché territory but it was intense enough to lay down some pretty solid memories.

Maybe that’s my early years in a nutshell – nothing much actually happened, at least anything much worth remembering. Maybe I was just a happy little soul who went through each day doing basic animal things like eating, shitting and sleeping without a care (or thought) to interrupt things. Thinking back on it maybe it was simply the case that there was nothing that bad to remember. OK, maybe there was nothing that good to remember either but I’d take that over a violent or abusive childhood any day!

I have some very early photographs of me and my brother that must have been taken in the early 1960’s. I look really cute in shorts with my cropped blond hair. I have no recollection of the snaps being taken or little idea of where they were taken. They look like a park of some kind but which one I’ll probably never know. It does feel kind of odd not having, or at least remembering, your roots. Maybe that explains why I’m never planning on ever moving back to the place of my birth (which really shocked someone I chatted to at the wedding I went to recently). It’s because I have no memory of growing up there. Maybe that explains why I’m pretty happy living anywhere and why I hardly ever feel homesick. Maybe without the clutter of early childhood memories I have more room for interesting stuff. If only I can find some interesting stuff to remember……

7 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Wait. You're not actually a kitten anymore? Well, I guess that's fair since I've technically never been a monolith.

CyberKitten said...

Oh, I think I'm far too old to be called a kitten any more - though I do try to keep my kitten-ish nature alive and well in my heart/mind.

As I have said many times - I can't do much about growing old but I'll be damned if I intend to grow up!

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I turned 40 this year and I definitely haven't grown up. I own more video game systems now than I did at 20. I listen to more kinds of music, much of it recent.

Of course if the saying "You're only as old as you feel" is true, I'm pretty old right now after working all day and then playing racquetball. ;-)

CyberKitten said...

mike said: I turned 40 this year and I definitely haven't grown up.

I'm due for a milestone myself next Spring. I still dress pretty much as I always have, listen to all kinds of music and play computer games on a regular basis. My mind is still as young and as active as it's always been - maybe more so. Growing up? Sod that!

mike said: Of course if the saying "You're only as old as you feel" is true, I'm pretty old right now after working all day and then playing racquetball. ;-)

Tell me about it! I've been running on vapour for the last few weeks - now the vapour has run out. For the next week or so I'm hoping to make it on pure momentum....

VV said...

Maybe your lack of lots of memories is also attributable to the type of child you were. If you were happy and all your needs were being met, there's not much cause for you to focus on or remember things. I was a very observant child and so have many, many clear memories of my childhood. As you mentioned abuse, I do have to note, I was an observant child, because I had to be. I was always trying to blend into the background to avoid being hurt. So I was quiet, watched everyone and everything for clues to when the atmosphere would change and I would need to hide. So you're probably lucky you didn't have to pay attention or remember. On a happier note, my adult life, especially the last 10 years (thanks M) has more than made up for the previous 35 years. :-)

dbackdad said...

Good stuff. Your line, "On further reflection I decided that I simply wasn’t paying that much attention to things happening around me ...", made me chuckle. I'm so there. I have almost no recollection of anything before I was 5. I don't think I'm blocking out anything traumatic ... I think it was just fairly uneventful.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: I have almost no recollection of anything before I was 5. I don't think I'm blocking out anything traumatic ... I think it was just fairly uneventful.

[phew] Not just me then!