About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, July 26, 2010

In the Beginning:

“Close to noon, the Father Sun baked pungencies out of turf and turned the forest that walled the northern horizon into a wind-whispery surf of leaves and shadow. Closer by, a field of hsakh stood golden. Kdatlyno slaves were hand-cultivating it in the ancient way, growing fibre that would be handwoven into cloaks for the mighty to wear at Midwinter Bloodfest and then burn. Scattered elsewhere were the dwellings of Heroes attendant upon his household. Though stately enough, they were dwalfed by the manor looming ahead of Ghrul-Captain.”

From: Pele by Poul Anderson in Man-Kzin Wars IX created by Larry Niven

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
wstachour said...

I remember reading Ringworld in high school or just post- and liking it a great deal. I can't remember if I've read anything else, and now my enthusiasm for sci-fi has cooled a bit. Perhaps I should revisit.

CyberKitten said...

wunelle said: I remember reading Ringworld in high school or just post- and liking it a great deal.

Me too....

wunelle said: I can't remember if I've read anything else, and now my enthusiasm for sci-fi has cooled a bit.

I read SF almost exclusively in my teens and 20's. Now I read a mixture of all kinds of things but SF is still my first love.