About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, September 06, 2010

My Favourite Movies: Hidalgo

I think that CQ and I went to see this primarily because we are both fans of Viggo Mortensen (for different reasons I suspect). I wasn’t really sure what to expect from it but was more than pleasantly surprised.

The film told part of the life of Frank T. Hopkins, a legendary long-distance dispatch rider. After he delivered the dispatch that precipitated the massacre at Wounded Knee his life fell apart as he tried, and failed, to deal with the guilt of what he had done to his own people – as Hopkins is half Lakota Sioux. Years later Hopkins is part of Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show and is slowly drinking himself to death. Billed as the worlds best long-distance rider he is challenged to prove this in the annual race across the Ocean of Fire, a 3,000 mile race across the Arabian Desert. Thinking that he has nothing to lose he enters into what will be the race of his life.

I loved this film for many reasons – not least of which was the beautiful horse Hidalgo himself. Not only was it a great story well told in the classic adventure mould (without the requirement for endless explosions, expletives or pointless titillating sex scenes) which would already be enough to earn it a recommendation from me, it also managed to push many of my hot buttons. It was beautifully filmed, particularly in the desert scenes. It is sprinkled with honourable characters who act the way they do because of deeply held personal codes – exemplified by Hopkins/Mortensen and by Sheikh Riyadh played by Omar Sharif. The hero is deeply troubled by internal conflicts about personal identity resulting in a film that was, in effect, a journey within a journey with the desert crossing symbolizing the heroes wandering away from his true self, only finding it at the point of almost giving up. Enough the love interest was handled very well indeed. The Sheikhs daughter, Jazira played by Zuleikha Robinson, is fascinated by the handsome Hopkins but, despite their obvious attraction for each other, nothing happens. They don’t even kiss, which would have been, given the time and place unthinkable. Both CQ and I were most relieved when they parted without anything more than a lingering look into each others eyes.

CQ and I were so impressed by this film that we saw it twice in the week it came out – I think we might have actually seen it on consecutive nights. We saw it again the following week. So far I’ve probably seen it two or three times on DVD including last weekend. I could easily watch it again this weekend and confidently enjoy it as much. It’s a great little film that might have passed you by. If you haven’t seen it I can heartily recommend it. It’s a feel good film without the smaltziness you often find in so-called feel-good movies. Watch it. Enjoy it. Try not to buy a horse because of it.

8 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Saw it in the theater and loved it. May be time to watch it again.

wstachour said...

I've always been curious, but did not see. Based on your recommendation, I'll put it on my list!

dbackdad said...

Good flick. I like anything with Mortensen, especially LOTR, The Road, and anything directed by Cronenberg. Viggo is very genuine and unimpressed by fame or Hollywood ... things rare among most actors.

In real life, Mortensen is quite the horseman and he bought several of the horses that were used in LOTR.

CyberKitten said...

mike said: May be time to watch it again.

Its definitely worth a 2nd viewing.

wunelle said: Based on your recommendation, I'll put it on my list!

I think you'll like it. It's a classic adventure.

dbackdad said: In real life, Mortensen is quite the horseman and he bought several of the horses that were used in LOTR.

He seemed very at home on horseback. He bought one of the horses playing Hidalgo too....

Scott said...

"pointless titillating sex scenes"

Doesn't the second word answer the charge of the first word?

dbackdad said...

He's got a point there (Scott). BTW, I think it's about time Scott did a blog post. :-)

CyberKitten said...

Generally *I* regard mere titilation as pointless..... But maybe that's just me.....

I also regard such scenes as general evidence of lazy film making. Then again lazy film making is the norm (at least presently).

Scott said...

Ha, another blog post. Wouldn't *that* be titillating and pointless?