About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, August 01, 2011


The Best Books of 2009

I reviewed 63 books here in 2009. These are my Top 5 from that year – in chronological reading order:

Eater by Gregory Benford

Matter by Iain M Banks

Kingdom of Shadows by Alan Furst

Red Square by Martin Cruz Smith

Amazing Tales for making Men out of Boys by Neil Oliver

(Honourable mention goes to: Carnival of Destruction by Brian Stableford, The Spanish Civil War by Antony Beevor, Harlequin by Bernard Cornwell, Hammerjack by Marc D Giller and Imperium by Robert Harris)

The Best Books of 2010

I also reviewed 61 books here in 2010. These are my Top 6 from that year (as it was a particularly good year for books) – in chronological reading order:

Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card

Into the Storm by Taylor Anderson

The Painted Man by Peter V Brett

The Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin

The Language of Stones by Robert Carter

Surface Detail by Iain M Banks

(Honourable mention goes to: Red Genesis by S C Sykes, Crisis? What Crisis – Britain in the 1970’s by Alwyn Turner and Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond)

6 comments:

dbackdad said...

Glad to see another Banks book, given that I'm already a fan of his. I wish I could carve out more time to read.

CyberKitten said...

I have the advantage of working 9-5 weekdays only and not having a family or much of a social life [grin]

I have more time to read than most people I know.... I'd have much more though if I didn't game so much.

dbackdad said...

I share in your general lack of a social life. But, I too have a diversion. I basically don't miss any Arizona Diamondback baseball games on TV. That's 3 hours a night that I could be reading.

CyberKitten said...

I've started listening to music in the evenings instead of channel-hopping in the hope of something half-decent being on TV. Not only do I manage to listen to more of my music that way but I also seem to power through more books.

It's not doing my 'to be reviewed' pile any favours though. 7 in there ATM.

dbackdad said...

Yep. I have about a half dozen read books that I had wanted to review that I have not gotten to (and wonder if I ever will).

dbackdad said...

I just bought Consider Phlebas this weekend. I'm going to start working my way through the Culture novels. Definitely looking forward to it.