About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, March 08, 2013


I still remember seeing this in the flesh (so to speak). I wish that we had more time just to gaze at the genius of the design and wonder at the powerful imagination housed in Michelangelo's mind. I mean he designed this statue of David to be looked at on a column from ground level. Looked at straight-on the proportions are all wrong, but looked at from a lower position the proportions are exactly right..... and he did that all in his head..... and then produced it out of stone.... with chisels...... I was, and still am, stunned by the ability of this man. The stature was literally awe inspiring and honestly took my breath away. I still remember seeing a young woman, probably an art student, gazing up at it simply entranced. I couldn't help smiling as I understood exactly what she was experiencing. This is a truly amazing work of art and if you ever get the opportunity to see the real thing I couldn't recommend that you do so more highly. 

4 comments:

VV said...

Where is it housed?

CyberKitten said...

It's in the Accademia Gallery in Florence, Italy.

VV said...

Ahh, I've never been to Italy. M says she's been there and seen it. She says Florence was awesome.

CyberKitten said...

Florence is one of the most beautiful places on Earth as far as I'm concerned. We were only there for 3 days in total but it quickly became one of the places I would happily live - even taking into consideration the fact that I'd have to learn Italian to get by.