About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, May 10, 2013


“It is more useful to watch a man in times of peril, and in adversity to discern what kind of man he is; for then, at last, words of truth are drawn from the depths of his heart, and the mask is torn off, reality remains.”

Lucretius (c.98-55 B.C.E.)

“Do not seek to have events happen as you want them to, but instead want them to happen as they do happen, and your life will go well.”

Epictetus (50-130)

3 comments:

dbackdad said...

Love all the philosopher quotes. I have a few of the works that they come from. I need to revisit them.

Thomas Fummo said...

I love Lucretius. His De Rerum Natura is both poetically and philosophically beautiful.

CyberKitten said...

I've just finished a philosophy book which had a few pages of great quotes in the back. I thought it would break up the torrent of pictures a bit to quote some of the best ones here.

I have a very high regard for the Greek philosophers. They talked a lot of sense back then. Quite a lot of nonsense too but that's not really surprising given that in many fields they founded the actual school of knowledge we now take for granted.