About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, June 03, 2013


My Favourite Movies: The Italian Job

I must have since this at the cinema. It was probably one of the last movies I saw with my Dad and, undoubtedly, my older brother before we left Liverpool in 1970. My Mother is unlikely to have been there as she was never a great movie goer and generally disliked the whole experience. Personally I thought movie theatres where, and sometimes still are, magical places.


Anyway, as to the movie itself. For one thing it’s quintessentially British and was made during the age when the phrase Cool Britannia actually meant something. It all starts with the flash criminal Charlie Crocker (played effortlessly by Michael Caine) getting out of prison and being met by his girlfriend in a stolen car. Before long he has stolen a car of his own – a beautiful Aston-Martin DB5 I think – and his working on his next job. It’s ambitious and needs backing by his contacts in London’s gangland. Once he has the funding and puts his team together they’re off to Italy (Milan) to steal $4 Million in gold in broad daylight. Their plan relies on producing the world’s worst traffic jam and them escaping using three Austin Mini’s (coloured red, white and blue of course and often seen driving in that order) with their advantage of small size, nippiness and go anywhere abilities. Basically the film breaks down to equal parts planning and execution – with the car chase element taking up a good chunk of the film. I certainly remembered the antics of these little cars doing incredible stunts (at the time) being chased by less than competent and less than aggressive Italian policemen. I also remember the iconic ending (which I won’t ruin here) which left the movie open to a sequel that was, unfortunately, never filmed. It was a great cliff-hanger! Of course the whole thing wouldn’t have been half as good without Caine’s boyish charms, excellent comic timing, glimpses of toughness under his candy coating and wonderful one-liners. Then, of course, there’s the cars which almost became the stars of the movie. Although never a huge fan of the mini (sacrilege I know) I did salivate over the Aston and several E-Type Jaguars that all came to unfortunate ends.


Overall this movie is a slice of memorabilia from a lost age – the heights of the 1960’s. I do wonder still if it was really like that – probably not or at last probably not for most people most of the time. It is in essence a feel good film involving lifetime criminals stealing gold from foreigners at a time when we worried about the relative decline in British industry and the ever worsening balance of payments. It is a film that it British to its core and an example of what we could do back then on a comparatively small budget. I love it. If you haven’t seen this you’re missing a camp treat especially if you like the 60’s or have an interest in Swinging Britain. Enjoy. 

2 comments:

dbackdad said...

I've always meant to see this one, but hadn't been able to find it anywhere. Seeing your post reminded me to check again. It's available for free streaming under my Amazon Prime account, which I can view either on my Kindle HD or on my TV through our Wii. I'll let you know what I think, though I'm fairly certain I'll like it.

CyberKitten said...

Oh, I think you'll definitely like it. It's aged well considering that it's very much of its time (yes, I know that's a contradiction!)

Basically it's just a *fun* movie....