About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Weekend of Music (8th-10th August 2014)

It has become my habit for quite some time now (at least a year and probably more) not to watch TV over the weekend – apart from a movie on Saturday afternoon (this week was a Canadian film Passchendaele) and a few TV episodes from a box-set (presently Series 3 of Falling Skies) – but to read and listen to music. Here’s what I listened to this weekend:

10cc – Dreadlock Holiday, The Collection
Heart – Greatest Hits
The Rolling Stones – Hot Rocks 1964-1971 (2 CDs)
Fairport Convention – Liege and Lief
Various Artists – Guitar Greats (2 CDs)
Terence Trent D’Arby – Greatest Hits
Various Artists – The Essential Bands, Festival Edition
Johnny Cash – Ring of Fire
Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures
The Monkees – Daydream Believer, Collection Volume 1
Penguin CafĂ© Orchestra – Preludes Airs and Yodels
Vangelis – Odyssey, The Definitive Collection
Jimi Hendrix – Experience Hendrix, The Best Of
Game Soundtrack – Borderlands
Carole King – The Essential Collection (2 CDs)
Led Zeppelin – Mothership (2 CDs)

A nice mix I thought and probably reasonably representative of the sort of thing I listen to over a few days.

4 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Interesting mix. I sometimes listen to music when I read, but only instrumental music. I don't like having lyrics intrude on the the words on the page.

CyberKitten said...

Some things are harder to listen to whilst reading. Songs I know very well or really like make reading difficult - just too distracting. Like you say - a clash of words in your head.

I do find that I can listen to instrumental music at just about any reasonable volume and still read. Classical is great to read to.

dbackdad said...

Your tastes trend just a big earlier than mine, which one would expect as you are a couple of years older. But, overall, a nice mix. I especially like Joy Division, Cash, Hendrix and Zep.

CyberKitten said...

This is very much a snapshot of one weekends listening. My next snapshot might show something quite different. Generally I'm drawn to 60's, 70's and especially 80's music. After that my tastes become more.... erratic. I don't like very much of what passes for music today (or as I call it - noise) but that's probably just my age. Having younger friends does introduce me to new sounds though so the collection is still growing.

ATM I'm listening to Tears for Fears (Songs from the Big Chair) which kind of underlies my point.... [grin]