About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, January 24, 2015


How the Other Half Live

I’ve been promising for some time now to focus on women authors and we’ve finally arrived at that point. The previous review of Every Last Drop by Charlie Huston was the last of my random bunch of ten books and the first of the woman authored novels will start soon. As I’ve mentioned before I do seem to neglect (or possibly reject) books penned by half of the human population – and indeed my favourite half – much more often than I should. This upcoming parade of female talent will go some way to address this deficiency. But of course, being me, I have to go several steps further than my original intent. So, in addition to reading ten novels by women (two already in the review pile) I will also read any intervening non-fiction during this time also authored by women. This should prove to be more of a challenge than the fictional aspect. I expect to fulfil the history side of things easily but the non-history may take some doing and throw up some wild and strange examples. Then I thought to myself – why not just go the whole hog and just get it over with. So I am. Therefore, for the duration of my novel and non-fiction reading by female authors I will also post extensively, if not exclusively, items focusing on women – starting now. I think it should be fun and I hope you enjoy what I have in mind as much as I do.

4 comments:

VV said...

One of my favorite books by a female author is _Dear and Glorious Physician_ by Taylor Caldwell. I read it, or rather consumed it, my senior year of high school. I had never read any book like that before, and can't quite say why it captivated me so much. I just fell into the story and it felt so real to me.

CyberKitten said...

Ah, the experience of why I (and other readers like you) love reading so much. Non-readers are missing SO much from their lives!

Karlo said...

Intelligence is sexy!

CyberKitten said...

Most definitely Karlo. I'm constantly surprised that quite a few men can't see that.