About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, December 06, 2018


Just Finished Reading: The Four-Dimensional Human – Ways of Being in the Digital World by Laurence Scott (FP: 2015)

This is not an easy book to precis so I’m not really going to try. Instead I’ll try to give a flavour of what it was about and what I thought of it. It’s hard not to notice how technology and the use of it changes things – most especially human nature. We’ve all seen ‘zombies’ walking around staring intently into their palms often completely oblivious to what’s going on around them. This is what the author means when he talks about 4D humans – not the zombification of humanity but to people being ‘elsewhere’ why still, at least technically, being here in the normal 3D world at the same time. When we’re online (for example by reading this poor excuse for a book review) where exactly are we? We might be physically located in our home office, den or kitchen but we are also in cyberspace hopping from webpage to webpage on computers that might be based hundreds of miles away from our actual location. Although we have not physically moved it could be argued that part of our mind and certainly our attention has gone through the screen in front of our eyes and is actually traversing the data streams along with the bits and bytes that make up the virtual world. Or take online gaming. Most nights I sit in my spare room/office/library chatting to my friends using VOIP (Voice Over IP) and it feels like we’re in the same room and not 10, 15, 20 miles apart. At the same time we might be playing a game together which is being run on a server in Paris but gives the impression of being on another world. So, were exactly is the game taking place? Paris? My spare room? Somewhere in cyberspace? Just on my home computer or all of the above? These days that is not an idle question.

As more and more people spend ever longer and ever more of their lives ‘on-line’ what does it do to both the on-line and off-line persona? Now I admit that I am one of those strange folk that isn’t, and never has been, on Facebook. I’ve never used Twitter or Instagram or Snapchat. My on-line ‘presence’ is this Blog – period. That being the case I was often one or two steps removed from the authors tales of Facebook accounts of long dead individuals still getting posts, of the questionable thrill of delving too deeply into someone’s profile, of long-distance empathy, sorrow or regret as friends unspoken to for years or decades, get married, have children, split up, grow old and one day, vanish for never discovered reasons. The author also points to the strange rigidity of on-line existence. In the early days it was often thought that the Internet would herald in a new age of liberty. No one, it was stated with confidence, on the Internet knows you’re a dog. How wonderfully naïve that was. Today your on-line identity needs to be as detailed and as unchanging as possible. Without a steamer trunk of history how does Airbnb know who you are and that you can be trusted? Without a detailed and verified digital passport how can advertisers know which targeted adverts will do the most good when they land in your in-box of pop-up on your feed. Be who you want to be in meat-space but in cyberspace without your glowing ID badge your entry will be denied.

Ranging over pop culture, personal experience, literary references to Shakespeare and to popular movies this is an interesting and thoughtful read. I did roll my eyes a few times and did think he was trying too hard to impress – successfully it seems as this work won The Jerwood Prize and was shortlisted for The Samuel Johnson Prize – but overall I was impressed enough to finish it in short order. More IT related reads to come. 

5 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i don't understand how a cyber prize could be named after Dr. Johnson? amazing...
i've had the same effect from reading, actually, of entering another universe: most readers do, i think...
there is a curious deep one-dimensional affect to the internet: how you get to know others fairly well but actually don't know them at all... but maybe that's the way so-called real life is anyhow... how do we ever know what others think?

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: Yup - Losing yourself in a good book, being transported to a different place, a different time or into a different body is THE great thing about books.

'Meeting' people on-line is a bit odd. You never actually *know* who they are. Of course you can be whoever you want to be on-line really. I don't mind people not being their meat-self in cyberspace as long as they're not being deceptive for personal gain or to cause harm. That's one reason I 'outed' myself as male when a number of people got the wrong impression I was female. It annoyed a few people but most of my readers accepted the new reality OK.

mudpuddle said...

i'm one of those also, male type i mean... not that the other sex can't have mustaches too, i mean... but experience tells me they don't like them very much... lol

Stephen said...

Funny that I missed this post during a week-long involuntary sabbatical from the internet! I envy your never having gotten aboard the Facebook train...when I joined it was just for college students, and my thinking was that it was like a free classmates.com. I had no idea what it would become, and had I know I would have done things differently.

I think it's going to be very interesting to see studies produced in a few years about children whose ENTIRE LIFE is on facebook -- from the moment their parents announced, to the photos of the gender reveal party, to alllll the photos from not just the milestones but every little paving stone of their lives.

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: Ironic, eh? Some people look at me funny when I say I'm not on Facebook. I look funny @ them right back!

I think future kids and teens will learn that uploading entire lives is hardly ever a good thing. With that much data to mine future employers and future partners are going to be able to find LOTS of skeletons to uncover!