About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 03, 2018


R4 @ The Movies (and the Small Screen).

Being a lifelong rebel (which explains SO much) I’ve been grateful over the years being presented with rebel heroes in the movies and in TV shows. These rebels are not only heroic but are usually held up in a very positive light as someone to emulate. Indeed they are seen as integral to our continuing freedom – the price of which appears to be eternal rebellion (or at least its possibility). So here are some of my favourite rebel movies and TV shows. No doubt you’ll have at least heard of most of them and have probably seen a fair few too. Some other are pretty obscure – British TV or European movies – but all of them have something to say, even the mainstream blockbuster ones….

Movies:

Divergent (2014)
Insurgent (2015)
Equilibrium (2002)
Gattaca (1997)
The Last Samurai (2003)
The Matrix (1999)
Rollerball (1975)
The Terminator Series (1984-2015)
Daybreakers (2009)
Max Manus – Man of War (2008)
Fahrenheit 451 (1966)
Defiance (2008)
Oblivion (2013)
Assault on Wallstreet (2013)
Flame & Citron (2008)
If… (1968)
They Live (1988)
300 (2006)
V for Vendetta (2005)
The Army of Crime (2009)
Ready Player One (2018)
Avatar (2009)
The Maze Runner (2014)
Rogue One (2016)
War of Resistance (2011)

TV:

The Prisoner (1967)
Falling Skies (2011)
1990 (1977)
The Invaders (1967)
Revolution (2012)
The Sarah Conner Chronicles (2008)
Dark Skies (1996)

Feed the Rebel – go watch a movie!

8 comments:

mudpuddle said...

change is good... i've seen some of the movies but none of the tv series... fahrenheit 451 was a great book and movie...

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Good lists. Some I've seen, some I want to see, and some I've never heard of. I need to watch Rogue One again. It didn't do much for me, maybe because I knew the outcome? Have you seen Dark City (1998)?

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: Haven't read the book of 451 (yet) but I did enjoy the movie. Watched the re-imaged version recently and was certainly less than impressed with it.

@ Mike: Oh, I liked Rogue One very much indeed. It's the only Star Wars film I own on DVD. I've seen it 5-6 times now and parts still make me choke up... and I'm not even a Star Wars fan!!!

Yup, seen Dark City (almost by accident on VHS). Enjoyed it a lot.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

We saw Rogue One in the theater and that's it. I did buy it when it came out. We own all the Star Wars movies (Even the prequels, I think I was drunk when I bought them) digitally.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Oops. We don't own Solo.

VV said...

I’ve seen about 8 of the movies and 3 of the tv series. I’ll look into the others you listed. I love a little rebel escapism.

CyberKitten said...

@ Mike: I was not amused by Solo at all. I thought it very poor. OK, not as poor as Phantom Menace but pretty bad!

@ V V: Rebellion for the win I say! 1990 is VERY British. I watched it recently and was impressed by its dark and claustrophobic feel.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I enjoyed Solo, but it tried to hit way too many notes perfectly. It was like a laundry list of what made Han Solo who he was instead of a real origin story.