About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, September 16, 2019

CK’s Adventures in YouTube(Land)

In the last 6-12 months I’ve been watching YouTube around an hour a day. It started by watching US news (mostly MSNBC and CNN) to try to get my head around what was happening over there. Inevitably it led on to commentary – by the likes of Brian Taylor Cohen and others. But it wasn’t just all US politics. There was my go to subject of History.


Two of the people I have found endlessly fascinating are The History Guy (who covers all kinds of forgotten history and Mark Felton Productions which covers (mostly) both world wars and (often) from an air perspective.




Then there’s Gaming. I’m playing (or rather re-playing) Borderlands 2 at the moment and this has been greatly enhanced by instructional videos from people like VinylicPumaGaming where I learnt the location (and methods) of so much Loot/Boss farming!



Then there’s TV shows I sampled before checking them out or buying the boxsets – like The Expanse, The Orville, ST: Discovery or The Boys.


Of course (as you’ve seen recently) there’s SO much music on YouTube that you could spend your days just listening/watching that.


Then there’s Movie/Art Crit from the likes of Nerdwriter1 where I’ve learnt LOTS of interesting things.


Then there’s the odd stuff (YouTube is chocked full of odd stuff) like the video I watched last night where a group of guys (I think from Eastern Europe) fired a variety of muskets into near contemporary laminated armour.

Then there’s one of my go to people of the moment – Beau of the 5th Column….. So many videos. So little time….. [lol] 

8 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i never get a chance to do that stuff, mrs. m won't let me...

VV said...

I often find myself sucked in when I’m looking for videos for class. There’s so much interesting stuff on there!

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: I think women believe that they need to keep men busy.... It's why I have so much time to read and cruise YouTube [lol]

@ V V: YouTube is a TOTAL time vampire/time machine. Hours just melt away.

Judy Krueger said...

Mostly I go to YouTube for the music. When I was reading a Stevie Nicks biography I was ecstatic to find so many performance videos of her music. I also like live author interviews. What did we used to do to amuse ourselves?

CyberKitten said...

It is great that there's so much music available at the click of a mouse. I love stumbling upon a new artist or new style I haven't seen before.

I do amuse (and shock) some of my younger friends/work colleagues by telling them I grew up before the Internet even existed. They have a hard time even processing the thought!

mudpuddle said...

i was born before the ball point pen (haha) no i wasn't: it was invented in 1888

Stephen said...

My youtube use constantly moves -- sometimes I just stay in my usual music + tech rut, and then I'l find all sorts of things. Last week I discovered that a lady whose minimalism videos I watch also did a video of her giving birth in a water-filled tub. It was fascinating!

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: LOL - I grew up with black & white TV (2 channels to start with!), and listening to radio plays on Sunday afternoons.... Fond memories!

@ Stephen: I'm always interested in finding new stuff out but I also find myself watching old TV and movie clips too. I too go through phases of music and love stumbling on new artists or YouTube channels. Lots of dross out there but lots of interesting stuff too.