About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, July 18, 2020

A Tenth View from the Apocalypse.

Rather inevitably as the opening-up gathers pace so do the virus outbreak spikes: Because people forget something important – that nothing has substantially changed. I see it out and about – more people in small groups (as allowed) doing normal stuff. Followed – 2 or 3 weeks later – by illness and hospital admissions. Some of my friends are having family get-togethers at the moment which is fine I suppose, but we’re still very much shying away from getting together ourselves so nu pubs and no restaurants that we’d normally be frequenting between the rain clouds. There are more people out there wearing masks and there will be a lot more of that from next week as we’ve been told that masks will be part of the shopping experience from 24th July. In preparation I’ve purchased a box of 50 disposables which should last me a little while….

Speaking of masking up, I visited the recently re-opened Mall last week. Partially it was to ‘check it out’ to see how it was operating and partially that I needed some things for the house and, naturally, to pop into my fave bookstore. As I bus everywhere I needed to be masked up to use Public Transport (apparently no mask, no travel) and, this time at least, had very little hyperventilating or misting of glasses. No mask required at the Mall (at least not yet) but I was greeted at the main entrance and informed – as this was my first visit post-apocalypse – on the new rules. Essentially they had instituted a one-way system (which most people followed most of the time) and plenty of hand-sanitiser stations at each entrance, throughout the Mall concourse itself *and* outside (or just inside) most shops. Being Monday lunchtime there was very little activity – I’d say about 100 people in there – so everything was pretty smooth going.

I’m still hacking & slashing my way through the brambles that had taken over my garden over the winter and lopping off the odd low hanging branch from any tree silly enough to encroach into my garden. I’ve even trimmed one of my neighbours (with permission of course) which was fun. I’d LOVE to chop the whole thing down but it’s FAR too big for that and I’d have no idea where it would fall. That’s going to be a professional job I think – for NEXT year! I’ve also been hacking at my hair too which sorely needed it. I purchased a Braun ‘grooming’ kit so will be trying my hand at some serious trimming soon enough. I just need to cut back the flowing locks a bit before I ‘go electric’. Otherwise it’d be like tackling a wheat field with a lawn trimmer.

Apart from that things are fairly quiet. Everyone I know of are still fit and well including friends and family. I’m still reading copiously (although I’m presently almost 500 pages into an almost 800 page novel) and still enjoying Oxygen Not Included despite losing my 2nd colonist/explorer to an unfortunate accident/oversight. The last 4 months have honestly rushed by in a blur and it’s hard to believe it’s already the middle of July (the weather here isn’t helping much with that!). I’m getting the hang of the ‘retirement during a pandemic’ lark and am keeping busy enough easily enough. When things normalise a bit more (post-vaccine) I’ll be able to do some of the things that I had been planning to be *before* the End of the World. But that’s probably still a year away – so we’ll see. Onwards!   

6 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i got mrs. M to give me a trim... whereas she liked my irish poet look, now she says i look like nixon: the ultimate squelch... is ONI sci fi?

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I still wear my mask everywhere in public and Eleanor does too. I never take her to any stores with me, and it is so horrible to see how many people ignore everything - grocery stores especially have signs posted asking for one shopper per family, and you sometimes still see whole groups! I understand if you are a single parent (like I am, so I only shop when Eleanor is with her dad), but when both parents and all four kids are shopping...not necessary. There are arrows directing people to only go one way, stay six feet apart, etc, and all these dummies just wander wherever, maskless. It is frustrating to live in a state with a Republican governor who kisses trumplethinskin's ass. That governor is now "exploring legal options" because the mayor of Lincoln (capital city) has issued a mandate that people must wear masks in public. Our idiot governor is possibly going to sue a mayor/city and if that is not one of the dumbest things I have ever heard, I don't know what is. The same thing is happening in Georgia, the governor is suing the city of Atlanta and the mayor over mask mandates. Just when I think it can't possibly be more embarrassing to be an American...

CyberKitten said...

@ Mudpuddle: Yes, ONI is SF - kinds of... You start with 3 'people' called Duplicates who appear out of some kind of machine underground in a cave system. All you have are skill sets & tool kits. To survive you have to explore, mine and build stuff.

@ Sarah: From what I've been picking up from CNN & MSNBC it's a total cluster over there. Even California who started out so well have fallen back into the mire of Covid. Only NYC seems to have got & kept a handle on things. With the re-opening here we're having 'spikes' all over the place.... Just wait until Winter!

Judy Krueger said...

The spikes in California and Los Angeles are the signs of what you say. The only new thing I did this week was go to my doctor's office for my delayed yearly physical. They had it well in hand for keeping patients safe and I passed with flying colors. But it sure won't be over for quite a while. Mask up! Otherwise, stay home!

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Cluster is the perfect way to describe it. CA was doing great, and then everyone in Huntington Beach decided NO MASKS and now it is out of control there. NYC did really well, Governor Cuomo was not messing around. Teachers here in my district are expected to report on August 4th, but our teacher union put our a press release to the district requesting remote learning to begin with because there are too many unanswered questions. I am seriously considering keeping Eleanor home to start the year, even though she is so excited to see her friends, and is excited for her 2nd grade teacher because he is really awesome.

CyberKitten said...

@ Judy: Everything did *seem* to be going pretty well - and then BOOM out of control. Here's hoping things get back on track soon when people really appreciate how important it is!

@ Sarah: The USA does seem to be going for a case study on how NOT to handle a pandemic! Cuomo has been pretty amazing in his NYC response. His briefings were what such things should be like not the BS etc from the so-called White House briefings.... Shameful.