About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, August 22, 2020

 20 Bookish Questions Tag

 

I saw this on Book Olive’s YouTube channel and I thought it worth doing. Check her out. There’s always something of interest there…

 

One: How Many books is TOO many books in a book series?

That would really depend on the author and if they can maintain a series over multiple books. I’ve read some series with 3 or 4 books in them and the end was getting flat. Others I’ve read 5 so far and am looking forward to the next 10 and beyond.

Two: How do you feel about ‘cliff-hangers’?

If they’re handled well I’m OK with them. What I don’t like is 5, 10 or more cliff-hangers in a book or if they happen at the end of a book JUST to get you to buy the next one – although I might forgive the author if the sequel is great!

Three: Hard cover or paperback?

Generally paperback – cheaper, lighter and easier to hold. I will buy a hardback if the paperback is unavailable or if the hardback is really cheap.

Four: What is your Favourite Book?

I’m not even going to TRY to answer that question!

Five: What is your Least Favourite Book?

Undoubtedly something I never finished so – who knows?

Six: Love Triangles – Yes or No?

I’m not a reader of romance novels so it’s not something I come across often. If it’s handled well I guess it’s OK – but usually it’s not (in my limited experience).

Seven: What was the most recent book you just couldn’t finish?

Descartes’s Error – Emotion, Reason and the Human Brain by Antonio Damasio.

Eight: What is the book you are currently reading?

Dark Continent – Europe’s Twentieth Century by Mark Mazower

Nine: What is the last book you recommended to someone?

Red Moon Rising – Sputnik and the Rivalries that Ignited the Space Race by Matthew Brzezinski

Ten: What is the oldest book that you’ve read?

Sense and Sensibility (1811)

Eleven: What is the newest book you’ve read?

Something published last year. I don’t think I’ve read anything published in 2020 yet.

Twelve: Who is your favourite author?

Another IMPOSSIBLE question!

Thirteen: Buying or Borrowing books?

Buying. Not only are libraries thin on the ground around here but I just like OWNING books so much!

Fourteen: What is the book that you dislike that everyone else seems to love?

I couldn’t even begin to guess.

Fifteen: Bookmarks or dog ears?

Bookmarks. Have a bit of self-respect.

Sixteen: What’s a book you can always re-read?

The number of re-reads I’ve done can probably be counted on one hand. I’ve read LoTR twice I think (possibly three times) and I’ve read His Dark Materials three times. There’s just too much else to read I think. Although I am planning on re-reading the Dune series (I only read the first three originally) as well as the expanded Foundation series.

Seventeen: Can you read and listen to music?

Yes, but nothing I’m either too familiar with (singing along (even in your head) AND reading just isn’t on. Classical works well or maybe Snake Jazz [lol]

Eighteen: One PoV or multiple PoV’s?

Whatever works if handled well. Multiple PoVs can be confusing but also enlightening if well integrated.

Nineteen: Do you read a book in one sitting or over multiple days?

Most of the books I read are far too big to read in a single day. I aim for 80-100 pages a day. Hitting 150+ on a good day is not unusual but still…. On average it takes me 3-4 days to finish a book. Really big books (in the 700-800 page zone) can take 7-10 days.

Twenty: Who do you Tag?

Oh, I don’t TAG. I’m happy to BE tagged but I don’t reciprocate…. Sorry.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Thanks for sharing this one!

Judy Krueger said...

Snake Jazz? Can I find it on YouTube?
I don't tag either. Life is too busy.

CyberKitten said...

@ Stephen: Gave you an idea for a future post?

@ Judy: [grin] Snake Jazz is a 'joke' that really took off from the cartoon series Rick & Morty. An official version is here... It's a bit... strange.... [lol]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahgcD1xjRiQ

Judy Krueger said...

Thanks! I get it. Ha Ha.

CyberKitten said...

@ Judy: This rif on Snake Jazz is really good... [grin]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZ3HsFm00Q&t=159s