About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, January 27, 2024


Birthday Dinner Party – 27th January. 

As you’ve probably already noticed I like to post things here most days. The ‘problem’ is to actually have something to post! Now, I could just post a meme or something I found somewhere on-line, but where’s the fun (or originality) in that? This means, of course, that sometimes I can struggle with having anything worthy of posting here. Sometimes this means simply a blank day. There’s nothing wrong with that but it can feel, at least sometimes, like a lost opportunity. So, the search for new and original content goes on... I was pleased, therefore, when I half-heard an idea on the radio and thought... Cool, I might do that. The idea, which will become obvious the moment I stop rambling on, is that of holding a birthday dinner party for a group of (mostly dead) people – actually on their birthdays. This is my first attempt and, though I say so myself, I think it’s a pretty good start. 

For his musical talents (and to be honest the thought that he might be half as crazy/entertaining as he was portrayed in the 1984 movie ‘Amadeus’) we could hardly do better than Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Just imagine the music wafting across the room as we eat and chat!  I thought it would be interesting to add Elmore James (American blues slide guitarist) so that they could riff off each other and jam together over brandy and cigars. That’d just be beyond amazing to watch/listen to. 

For further conversation we have Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (AKA Lewis Carroll), although I’m guessing that it might take having at least a few glasses of good wine inside him before he opened up. Maybe, like the rest of us, he would simply be entranced as Captain Edward Smith (of RMS Titanic fame) regaled us the story of the great ship's final hours? No doubt tales of other dramatic moments could be related by Hans Modrow the last Communist Prime Minister of East Germany (1989-90) who could give us all the inside scoop to what was happening in that state during the weeks before and after the Berlin Wall fell. Then, to add a bit of spice to the proceedings we have Ronald "Buster" Edwards, one of the British Great Train Robbers who could keep us all riveted with his own story of one of THE crimes of the 20th century.... I think that could be quite a memorable event! 

More dinner parties to come I think... [grin] 

8 comments:

VV said...

Wow! What a great guest list! That would be some very interesting conversation.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

What a fun idea, I love this!

CyberKitten said...

Wouldn't it just!!

...and we could start off singing Happy Birthday to everyone and bringing in a BIG cake to share. Quite the icebreaker!!

CyberKitten said...

@ Sarah: Thanks. The Beastie Boys meme thing was, of course, for you... [lol]

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

It made my heart SO SO happy.

Stephen said...

I had no idea my birthday was so close to so many fine chaps! Just began the last year of my thirties within the last week or so. O_O

CyberKitten said...

Happy belated birthday. I quite liked my 30's... Interesting times.... [muses]

VV said...

Oh and I forgot to mention, that image is from “My Three Sons” tv show. The younger man is Robbie, the older man is Uncle Charlie, so it makes no sense for him to call him dad. They should have grabbed a shot with Fred MacMurray who played the dad in that show. I’m old.