About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, January 22, 2024


Just Finished Reading: Nature’s Mutiny – How the Little Ice Age Transformed the West and Shaped the Present by Philipp Blom (FP: 2017) [284pp] 

Around the middle of the 17th century things were obviously wrong. The summer became more overcast and wet, whilst the winters became increasingly colder and often extended far into what used to called spring. The gradual cooling the whole world was experiencing was having real, indeed potentially fatal effects. With Europe especially an essentially subsistence economy where food was, by and large, both produced and consumed locally a series of poor crops could cause serious famine and this is what exactly began to happen more and more. The initial response was widespread prayers, calls to turn away from sin and processions asking for divine intervention. When these failed to change things – indeed things became progressively worse – other things were tried. Innovations in crop rotation, better use of fertiliser, the expansion of farmland into common areas all increased crop yields but it still wasn’t enough. Looking beyond local agriculture and towards areas less affected by the worsening climate than others, the transport and importation of foodstuffs increased everywhere. But this meant payment in cash, not kind, the writing and enforcement of contracts, increased diplomatic contact, improved ports and roads, more and bigger ships to carry grain and return with goods for sale, the need for more effective taxation schemes, increased military spending to protect what you had, and others wanted, exploration of foreign lands and the return of exotic plants like the potato... With each new coping mechanism put in place to ameliorate the effects of the cold and damp conditions things began to change, indeed everything began to change. The old, almost medieval ways gave way to Mercantilism and eventually Capitalism. Money in the form of hard and then paper currency became much more common. New companies making healthy profits from increased trade needed secure ways to finance their ventures so corporations, stock exchanges and banks emerged to support them. A growing middle class demanded more say in their local politics and began using their newfound wealth to buy their way into the upper echelons of society. Power shifted away from nobles and towards the nouveau riche.         

Although I’ve known about the Little Ice Age for a while, I’d never really realised just how long it lasted – around three HUNDRED years! - nor had I realised exactly what effect it had on Europe and the larger world. By groping towards often local problems of supply and demand (largely for food) without actually understanding what they were dealing with, the great and the good of Europe started an unstoppable cascade of change that, eventually, produced the modern world we live it. This honestly riveting book has changed the way I now look at modern European/world history. Most (to be honest almost all) of the history I’ve read so far barely mentions things like the weather or climate and how such things have lasting impacts on historical events. But looking at the history of that period through the lens of sudden climate change explains a GREAT deal of what was going on then. People didn’t just start exploring the world and changing things around them on a whim. They did it because they really wanted to KNOW where their next meal was coming from and how (if possible) they could make a bit of ready cash on the side. Because the climate downturn extended across generations the changes that were made to cope with the new climate stuck and became the new default socio-economic position. A few bad winters simply wouldn’t have changed that much, but three hundred years of bad weather has a tendency to change how people think about the world – and it did.  

I’m confident that this, even so early in the year, will be one of the best History books of 2024. If you want to get a handle on European history between the 17th – 19th centuries, you could do a LOT worse than start here. Highly recommended and more from this excellent author to come. 

Translated from the German by the author.   

8 comments:

Stephen said...

Brian Fagan also did a book on the Little Ice Age, but I imagine this one is more readable. He did "The Vertigo Years", I think. I remember it from college..

Stephen said...

That second "he" was intended to be Phillip Blom.

CyberKitten said...

The Fagan book is on my Wish List. I reviewed 'Vertigo' here:

https://cyberkittenspot.blogspot.com/2022/07/just-finished-reading-vertigo-years.html

This book (Ice Age) was *very* good. It changed the way I looked at European history @ that time and things make a LOT more sense now! I do wonder why Historians seem to disregard climate effects though.... [muses] I guess that they're trained to look at human agency driving things rather than people simply reacting to things outside of their control?

Interestingly there's still no consensus about what *caused* the Little Ice Age. The theories are reduce solar output & volcanoes. I'd bet on volcanoes personally. There were a few biggies during that time period which probably *added* to the problems, but it might just be long-tern outgassing that was largely unobserved that could've caused the climate to chill out... But that's pure guesswork on my part.

VV said...

Cool! I’ve heard of this weather pattern, but like you, never read a book about it or connected it to trade, exploration, etc. I might get this book and think about how I can incorporate some of the info into my world civ course.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I have read a couple different books about the Little Ice Age and so many people don't know it ever happened!

CyberKitten said...

@ V V: Oh, I think it could be used to explain a LOT going on around that time and could be used as a 'backbone/skeleton' to hang a lot of things from. I think you'd really like it.

@ Sarah: I do find it amazing that so many people seem to be indifferent to or ignorant of their own history. I remember having conversations at work with people who had never even heard anything about the periods or people I read about in my lunchbreak.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Same. I keep thinking I am a weirdo because no one knows about the Tudors or Plantagenets or Anglo-Saxons or anyone I love so much in history.

CyberKitten said...

Oh, I'd give people *some* slack for not knowing other people's history.... But there's little excuse for not knowing *something* about your own.... [grin]