About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, February 10, 2024


Birthday Dinner Party – 10th February 

After enjoying putting together the last birthday dinner party for 27th Jan, I did toy with the idea of following it up with another the following week especially as Mendelssohn had his birthday then. But then I thought that it was too early to get into the habit of weekly ‘parties’ as well as feeling an obligation to do so – which is a dangerous idea where fun Blogging is concerned! So, no party last week. 

This week however, I thought I’d give it another stab especially as some rather interesting characters came up on the Birthday List. First off is the Russian author and poet Boris Pasternak who wrote ‘Dr Zivago’ (not read but I remember enjoying the movie). To accompany (and compliment) him I ‘invited’ the German poet and playwright Bertolt Brecht. One interesting aspect of any conversation with and between the two is that they were both banned by their respective governments – on the opposite sides of the political spectrum! - with Brecht in particular having to go into exile. 

To mix things up a bit we have two sporting legends in the guise of American tennis player Bill Tilden who played in the US Open 1920-25, 29, Wimbledon 1920-21, 30 and the French Open 1927, 30. Then we have Allie Reynolds, American baseball pitcher, best known for his time with the Cleveland Indians (1942-1946) and the New York Yankees (1947-1954). He was a six-time World Series champion (1947, 1949-1953) and All-Star (1945, 1949, 1950, 1952-1954). I do seem to have a weird interest in baseball that I’ll be following up at some point, so it’d be fun to hear about the game from an insider.   

Then, as always, a few ‘wild cards’ for some no doubt interesting or fun conversations! We have American comedian Jimmy Durante, star of vaudeville, radio, film and TV. I’m sure that he could brighten up any room – and I’ve a feeling that we’d need his humour from time to time. Finally, we have Fanny Kaplan the failed assassin of Vladimir Lenin. I’m sure that she could tell quite a story! 

No world class musicians this week but I’m positive that the evening would be a fascinating one for all concerned! More parties to come no doubt... 

3 comments:

VV said...

That is quite an eclectic guest list! I don’t know if I would have sufficient intellect to hold a conversation with a couple of them. ☺️

CyberKitten said...

No matter how brilliant or talented the people are, they're still human beings like the rest of us - with the same hopes, same worries and same desires as anyone else. I'm sure that we can find common ground soon enough - especially after a few bottles of good wine!

VV said...

👍🏻🍾🥰