About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

My Favourite Movies: Gladiator

I have been a fan of sword and sandal epics since my Father took me to see films such as Ben Hur, Cleopatra & even El Cid. Gladiator was most certainly in that mould and although not Russell Crowe’s biggest fan I liked this movie very much. The opening battle scene was one of the best I’ve seen in ages and the later scenes in the Coliseum where quite frankly outstanding. Initially I did think that the middle of the film, full of politicking, was a bit dull but I have grown to like that too. The central characters are well done but watch the secondary characters, its worth the effort.

Anyway – the story is a fairly basic one, that of revenge. Maximus, a celebrated Roman general is betrayed and apparently killed on the orders of the son of Emperor Marcus Aurelius. After failing to save his family, Maximus is sold as a slave and becomes a fearsome gladiator. As his fame and fighting skills grow he finally ends up in Rome to face the man who destroyed his life.

Thinking about things a bit more deeply – as is my want – it came to me that I tend to like films where an individual or small group fights against seemingly impossible odds but ultimately triumph(s) due to bloody hard work and raw talent…. I wonder what that says about my deep psyche.

If you haven’t seen this film why not rent it for a wet Sunday afternoon. Oh, and get some popcorn in…

2 comments:

dbackdad said...

I agree with you on Gladiator (I own it). I definitely liked this movie. Nice acting, especially by Phoenix.

And I like Ridley Scott's visual style. It gave a grittiness to the battle scenes.

CyberKitten said...

Agreed. Ridley Scott's visual style is VERY good. I think he started out in advertising or graphic design so he has a good eye for the visuals...

The lack of historical accuracy in the battle scene didn't bother me at all... much... [grin]... oh and I noticed last time I watched it that the Germanic tribes seemed to be doing the same chant as the Zulu's did in 'Zulu'... Odd that...

"Strength & Honour"