About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, November 03, 2008

My Favourite TV: Babylon 5

I was off work ill for a week a little while ago with a nasty bug that’s ‘doing the rounds’ and was so sick that I couldn’t concentrate long enough to read much. As daytime TV is universally terrible and most movies would have demanded more attention than I could give them I turned to my trusty collection of TV box sets. What should draw my eye but the first 4 seasons of the SF series Babylon 5 (the less said about season 5 the better I think). So I ended up watching the complete season 1 box set and then started on edited highlights of season 2. By now I’m about half way through season 3 but have the excuse that I’m much better and other things are competing for my time.

Anyway, some of you may be thinking “What the heck is Babylon 5?” Basically it was a long running sci-fi series which aired between 1994-1998 for a total of 110 episodes also generating several spin-off movies and a spin-off series (or two). It revolved (no pun intended) around a large space-station – the Babylon 5 of the title – “in the middle of neutral territory” and took place “ten years after the Earth-Minbari war”. It’s a bit too complex to summarise in a few paragraphs but basically it contained lots of alien species, lots of fighting, some definitely larger than life characters and some very decent writing. The SFX were very special indeed for their time and budget and it was at times honestly gripping.

By far the best thing about this series where the characters involved. They were complex, often flawed beings who made mistakes and suffered to live with them. They fell in love, fought, died, and did all the things we would expect great heroes and villains to do. No one was irremediably bad or too good to be true. They all had depth and some of them – I’m thinking about G’Kar here played superbly by Andreas Katsulas – had a character that I just adored which isn’t bad for a reptile! Then there was the ever wonderful – unless you got on the wrong side of her – Susan Ivanova played by the beautiful and talented Claudia Christian and not forgetting the clown of the piece the deeply flawed and troubled Londo Mollari played to perfection by Peter Jurasik. This was a series written by someone who had a real feel for SF – unlike another series I could mention – which knew the themes and played with them. Of course sometimes what it produced was fairly naff but out of 110 episodes damned few fell into that category. Lastly was of course the Vorlon Kosh. I must admit that I didn’t like the idea of him/it coming out of its ‘encounter suit’ and being… well, I don’t want to give away any secrets to those who haven’t seen it. Suffice it to say that I would’ve preferred him/it to keep its clothes on. There are far too many (largely) secondary characters to mention most of whom I liked to some extent or another. The only character I never did get on with was Dr Stephen Franklin played by Richard Biggs. Despite what I said earlier he really was a little too good to be true.

If you haven’t seen this before and want to immerse yourself in a long running, intelligent and well executed TV space opera you could do a lot worse than this. It was for a time there reason to stay in, not answer the door and take the phone off the hook. Some of the best TV of the mid to late 90’s.

9 comments:

Neo said...

I've seen that a few times, never really got into it, was a star trek fan from back in the 70's William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy did you ever see the mini series V ? it was pretty cool. Starman was another show I liked. I really liked reading Arthur Clarke books "A Fall of Moon Dust" was real good

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I really need to watch these again. I recently completed my collection. I don't recall season 5 being bad, but I will see once I get around to watching them again.

CyberKitten said...

neo said: was a star trek fan from back in the 70's William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy

Me too. ST:OS was probably the best of the lot.

neo said: did you ever see the mini series V? it was pretty cool.

It certainly had its moments but was rather too 'thin' for my liking. It lacked any real depth.

neo said: Starman was another show I liked.

Never watched it I'm afraid.

neo said: I really liked reading Arthur Clarke books "A Fall of Moon Dust" was real good.

Ah... The classics. I'm reading Clarke ATM.

mike aka said: I don't recall season 5 being bad, but I will see once I get around to watching them again.

Season 5 got off to a bad start because it was only approved after the main writing team had basically killed off the series at the end of season 4. It took quite some time before the series really took off again and IMO didn't really make it.

Antimatter said...

Love this show! Season 1 was a bit iffy, but 2 to 4 were brilliant. Most of the episodes, including I think all of season 3, were written by creator J Michael Stracynzski - I don't think there was much of a writing team apart from him, and I believe he had approval on all scripts...

The storyline, subject matter, themes, and characters were excellent. My main quibbles with the show were the sometimes uneven performances and JMS's tendency to explain things with very matter of fact dialogue and have his characters be unnecessarily expository.

But overall, one of the best and most ambitious works of TV science fiction, one that did long story / character arcs and an ongoing universe with continuity well before such storytelling became the norm. Oh, and season 5 wasn't THAT bad!

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Hmmm...I guess I was so caught up with the characters that they could have had them all standing around reading phone books and I would have been happy. ;-)

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective."
Ambassador Delenn, A Distant Star

CyberKitten said...

AM said: Oh, and season 5 wasn't THAT bad!

Maybe I need to give it a 2nd shot.... [grin]

Mike AKA quoted: Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time.

My fave quote was from G'Kar just after his Homeworld was 'nuked':

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.”

That *still* sends a shiver down my spine....

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

G'Kar has always been my favorite. I remember getting chills when he read from William Butler Yeats' The Second Coming.

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

CyberKitten said...

mike aka said: G'Kar has always been my favorite. I remember getting chills when he read from William Butler Yeats' The Second Coming.

He has a *superb* reading voice... Not too sure about his Narn opera singing though. Apparently people thought that Security was torturing him!