About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, March 23, 2024


Happy Birthday: Akira Kurosawa (March 23, 1910 – September 6, 1998) was a Japanese filmmaker and painter who directed 30 films in a career spanning over five decades. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential filmmakers in the history of cinema. Kurosawa displayed a bold, dynamic style, strongly influenced by Western cinema yet distinct from it; he was involved with all aspects of film production.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

I've only seen one of his films (Seven Samurai) but am planning to see more.

Marian H said...

I picked up Rashomon at a library sale a while ago, still haven't watched it yet. Do you have a favorite film by him?

CyberKitten said...

Like Stephen, I've only ever seen (and own on DVD) 'Seven Samurai' which is *excellent* - and the basis for another of my favourite films - The Magnificent Seven. The only other film of his I've tried (but couldn't get into) YEARS ago was 'Ran'. I'm going to see if I can get back into it and try some others too.

I've been watching clips of the new FX series 'Shogun' which looks fantastic. I remember enjoying the original series and reading the book. I'm thinking of re-reading it when I can brace myself for a 1200+ page chunkster!!