About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, October 12, 2024


Happy Birthday: Magnus Magnusson, KBE (born Magnús Sigursteinsson; 12 October 1929 – 7 January 2007) was an Icelandic-born British-based journalist, translator, writer and television presenter. Born in Reykjavík, he lived in Scotland for almost all his life, although he never took British citizenship. He came to prominence as a BBC television journalist and was the presenter of the BBC television quiz programme Mastermind for 25 years.

Magnusson presented the long-running quiz show Mastermind from 1972 to 1997 on BBC1. His catchphrase "I've started, so I'll finish", which his successors continued to use, was said whenever the time for questioning a contestant ran out while he was reading a question on the show. Magnusson made cameo appearances as himself, hosting Mastermind in Morecambe and Wise as well as the children's series Dizzy Heights and as Magnus Magnesium in The Goodies episode "Frankenfido". He also used his Mastermind catchphrase in a television advertisement for cheese.

Magnusson translated or co-translated a variety of books from modern Icelandic and Old Norse into English. Among these are several works by Halldór Laxness, the Nobel prize-winning novelist from Iceland, as well as a number of Norse sagas, which he co-translated (with Hermann Pálsson) for Penguin Classics: Njal's Saga (1960), The Vinland Sagas (1965), King Harald's Saga (1966) and Laxdæla Saga (1969).

[I LOVED Mastermind growing up and it was a significant part of my teenage years. I'm a big fan of 'up market' quiz shows - my other big favourite of the era was University Challenge - and I enjoyed getting answers right before the contestants (or the rest of the family).] 

No comments: