About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, October 12, 2024


The Last 10 Movies – October 2024 Edition 

I wonder if I’ve gotten out of the habit of watching movies. I used to drop a DVD into the player and happily watch a film most weekends, even one that lasted 2 hours or more. These days I struggle to give a movie 30 minutes of my attention unless I’m ‘trapped’ in a movie theatre with friends. I find it even harder, so it seems at least, to watch new movies. Is that a me problem or a Hollywood problem? It’s a good question. Personally, I’d say 25% me and 75% Hollywood. Back in the day it wasn’t unusual for me and the guys, and sometimes me on my own (when ‘allowed’) to see several new movies a month. Sometimes we even saw several movies a week – with occasional re-watching's thrown in. No more. I doubt if I’ve seen 3-4 movies this *year* at the local multiplex. I even struggle with seeing new (or at least new to me) movies on Prime. I’ve tried a few and either abandon them pretty quickly or at least before the half way mark. It seems that even ‘free’ movies these days simply aren’t worth the time invested. But I have at least managed 10 movies since my last report in August. A whole TWO are new to me – one viewed on the big screen with friends and one viewed on Prime. They are: 

Alien: Romulus (2024) 

A reasonable addition to the franchise. It had a generally good look & feel and I liked the young cast, especially the female lead. It was, however, too long and had too many false endings. Within the hour a friend had I had improved the script 200%. 

The Batman (2022) 

Surprisingly good and surprisingly dark (in every sense) variation on the Batman theme. I was honestly impressed by Robert Pattinson’s interpretation of the iconic troubled hero. As much as I enjoyed it though – it was still at least 30 minutes too long. 

Pacific Rim (2013) 

Giant robots fighting giant monsters. As an idea it really shouldn’t have worked, but it did. Even after multiple re-watching's this is still chocked fun of fun. Totally silly, totally awesome. 

Groundhog Day (1993) 

Quite possibly Bill Murray’s best (at least funniest) film. Re-living the same day over & over, just imagine the possibilities. Plus, it has the lovely Andie MacDowell in it. Bonus. 

Jurassic Park (1993) 

The original dino film and still up there with the best of them. Borderline silly at times but still great fun. Loved the cast especially Sam Neill, Jeff Goldblum and Laura Dern. 

Get Carter (1971) 

Hard-boiled hard-case British crime thriller with Michael Caine in Newcastle looking for who killed his brother. Gritty, nasty and brutal at times. Not for the easily offended. 

Terminator: Genisys (2017) 

A very nice addition to the Terminator franchise with some lovely homage set pieces throughout. One of my favourites in the sequence. 

Sicario (2015) 

Loved this movie – originally seen on the big screen – almost from the first few minutes. Totally brutal in places and dealing with some heavy subjects I found it completely captivation. Emily Blunt was outstanding and I just LOVED Josh Brolin’s character. He was obviously having far too much fun. 

Beetlejuice (1988) 

Comedy horror based around the idea of a recently deceased couple who want to scare away the new tenants of their home. Nowhere near as funny as I remembered it to be. Even Genna Davis and Winona Ryder couldn’t save it this time. 

Hard Boiled (1992) 

Totally over the top Hong Kong cop thriller where gun-running Chinese Triads are confronted by several overlapping police squads. Totally ridiculous shoot-outs (one in a hospital with automatic weapons and rocket launchers) and a very thin plot. Starred Chow Yun-Fat and directed by John Woo. 

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Hahah, I was just watching Groundhog Day clips last night. My movie-watching buddy has been in Texas the last two weeks so I haven't been watching much at all, just playing Civ 3 and working on school stuff.

Marian H said...

I watched Groundhog Day somewhat recently with my sister. Neither of us had seen it before. We very much enjoyed the 90s throwbacks :D

My bf and I just watched The Outrun (2024) with Saoirse Ronan. We both thought it was a great movie (albeit depressing) but also a bit too long.

CyberKitten said...

Groundhog Day seems to be *very* popular ATM! [grin]

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

We hardly go to the theatre for movies anymore - it is so insanely expensive. And like you, I don't have the attention span - but I would always rather be reading. Even when we have movie nights with my mom, I have my book and I read and watch at the same time - unless it is a new movie, though it rarely is. We saw Inside Out 2 in the theatre this summer, and the new Ghostbusters in March, and then I can't remember seeing anything else except last fall when we saw The Eras Tour film FOUR FREAKING TIMES because we wanted to keep reliving the concert. We saw it at the drive-in twice and it was almost as good as the concert itself. Watching a bunch of little girls, who didn't know each other before the movie started, run around holding hands and singing and dancing was so healing.

CyberKitten said...

We LOVED 'Inside Out' (haven't seen the new one yet) except for Bing-Bong. The whole cinema *sobbed*..... [sob]