About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, December 05, 2005

'Gay weddings' become law in UK


From the BBC.


Hundreds of gay couples are preparing to form civil partnerships in the coming weeks as the law changes after decades of campaigning. At least 1,200 ceremonies are confirmed as being scheduled already, according to figures from councils.


Registrars are preparing for the first ceremonies, with couples permitted to register from Monday morning. Campaigners says the law ends inequalities for same-sex couples. The first ceremonies under the Civil Partnerships Act can take place in Northern Ireland on 19 December, followed by Scotland the next day and England and Wales on 21 December. Under the law, couples who want to form a partnership must register their intentions with local councils. Unlike marriages, the signing of the legal partnership papers does not need to happen in public.


Meg Munn, minister for equality, said the government expected 4,500 couples to get "partnered" in the first year. "This is an important piece of legislation that gives legal recognition to relationships which until now were invisible in the eyes of the law," Ms Munn told the BBC. "It accords people in same-sex relationships the same sort of rights and responsibilities that are available to married couples. "We know there are people who have been together maybe 40 years and have been waiting for the chance to do this kind of thing, because of the important differences it makes to their lives. "They have the same concerns as married couples - tenancy, ownership, pensions and inheritance."


Alan Wardle, of gay campaign group Stonewall, said the importance of the change should not be underestimated. "Our view is that civil partnerships are transformative for the lives of individual couples and their rights, but also for society more generally. "Society now legally recognises gay relationships for the first time. "It's a big day but 21 December, when the first partnerships take place, will be even bigger because that will see gay and lesbian people removing discrimination." But a spokesman for the one of the UK's major Christian groups told the BBC they believed same-sex couples should not get the same rights as married couples. "If you transport something unique, like marriage, into a different context, there's always a cost. And the cost here is in terms of reduction of marriage and the undermining of it," Don Horrocks of the Evangelical Alliance said.


Looks like another step forward on the road to a fully equal society. Long may it continue. I hope that one day people will actually struggle to understand the idea of discrimination – and fail to do so.

15 comments:

dbackdad said...

People hundreds of years from now will look back on this generation and wonder what the hell was the matter with us. Descrimination in any form defies logic.

CyberKitten said...

One can but hope so.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

GREAT GREAT Post! I think it's fantastic that the UK has passed this legislation, or is about to....Your government is sooo far ahead of the US, it's quite incredible and just underlines to me how truly backward we still are about almost everything!!! I love my country, but sometimes I don't like the way a lot of people still think about many many many things. Too many. So Congratulations to The UK!!! And Bless Everyone responsible for seeing 'the light'.

JR said...

Congratulations. But I have a question, I posted something about this on my blog the other day, and I read that gays in the UK will have "many" of the same rights that married couples have, but not all. Which rights will they still not have and why? Wish my partner and I could have some legal recognition and share in the benefits that married couples here have, to which my taxes contribute.

Juggling Mother said...

True equality will have arrived when we don't need to get "married". The whole concept is a hang-over from our theocracy days.

I still reckon its a ruse to get out of paying benifits to 10,000's of people. You can't claim anything if you're married & one partner works, but if you just live together...

Having said that, of course I am totally in favour of the new law.

Sadie Lou said...

True equality will have arrived when we don't need to get "married".

I can't understand that statement at all. Some of us are romantic about the commitment and I hope that never changes.

Juggling Mother said...

Going to a state sanctioned place & paying money to get a piece of paper has nothing to do with commitment.

I was able to commit to Aggie without some authority figure in silly clothes telling me it was important. My friends & family knew of our commitment to each other. I do not see why I had to go to a specific place & say specific words (which I mostly disagreed with) to "prove" our commitment in the eyes of the law.

The party was fun tho:-)

Sadie Lou said...

I was able to commit to Aggie without some authority figure in silly clothes telling me it was important.

That's cool for you but I just find your statement about equality kind of presumptious. I agree that commitment and a loving relationship can be had without getting married but some of us have dreamed of our wedding day since we were little girls. The romance and the fantasy of having that perfect, beautiful ceremony with the person you love, isn't some dying tradition that should roll over to modernism and "equality".
Am I making sense?
I hope I didn't offend you. You sound like a really nice person.

Juggling Mother said...

I wasn't offended. I did get married:-)

But I do believe that while we still consider a wedding to be the definition of love & commitment we are going to still have many social problems around those same issues.

I know many people (mostly girls) who have "dreamed of their wedding day since they were little". They know what dress they will wear, what music will be played, who will be invited etc. the groom is fairly irrelevant & oftejn they will marry someone because they want to have a wedding, not because they want to be married!

I also know many people who refuse to leave an obvioulsy atrocious relationship because they married for life.

i think that when we stop romantisising & fuelling the fantasies, we will be heading towards equality for all relationships. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'm expressing myself very well here.

Sadie Lou said...

You make some valid points about relationships in general but I still think marriage is a valuable tradition, otherwise it would have become obsolete a long time ago. Just about every culture through the ages observes a wedding ceremony of some sort. It's just the way we humans comemorate that very important day where two people announce to everyone they know and love, that they have made a commitment to be together.

greatwhitebear said...

Hell, even you conservative, tradition minded to a fault Brits are more socially advanced then us! I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa Clarke would approve, because, like the Beatles, if it came from glorious old Britannia, it had to be right!

I think I'll join the other side of the family and hide my head in shame at our backwardsness!

greatwhitebear said...

at our backwordness, too!

CyberKitten said...

V V said: But I have a question, I posted something about this on my blog the other day, and I read that gays in the UK will have "many" of the same rights that married couples have, but not all. Which rights will they still not have and why?

I'll try & find out for you. The BBC article wasn't very detailed.

JR said...

Thanks. E-mail it to me when you find out.

CyberKitten said...

Just sent you a few PDF files from the Civil Partnership people which should be of interest.