About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The God Debate.

I’ve become quite disillusioned with the debates regarding religious issues on the various Blogs I visit (including my own to be honest). From subjects ranging from Evolution to Morality the Theists & the Atheists sit in their respective trenches lobbing barbed comments at each other until they break off in mutual accusation and confusion. Like the trench warfare on WW1 neither side makes any ground that isn’t swiftly denied by the other. Such a war of attrition waged in this way will last forever and will be equally fruitless.

But why do I think it’s that way? I actually feel that we’re not in fact discussing what we believe we’re discussing. When we debate Evolution or where Morality comes from we’re not really discussing just those subjects. What we are in fact discussing is the existence (or otherwise) of God. That’s basically what the debates on these subjects boil down to. What uniform you wear and what trench you live in will determine your stance on these topics so why don’t we actually debate the real issue and get that out of the way before we move on to the other stuff?

Of course it’s not that simple and I’m coming to the conclusion that not only is the debate on the existence of God probably impossible I think it’s also pointless. Why I hear you ask? Well, ask yourselves these questions:

Is there any idea, fact, observation or anything else that can convince a Theist that God does not exist?

Is there any idea, fact, observation or anything else that can convince an Atheist that God does exist?

If the answer to either of these questions is ‘No’ then any proposed debate is going to be a vast waste of time and energy. However, I hear you say, there are ex-theists out there who have lost their faith just as there are ex-atheists who have found it. What made them change their minds/belief systems? That’s a very good (and often very personal) question.

I think that only after the God Debate has been settled can we move on from the endless round of pointless debating about the age of the Earth/Universe, Evolution Vs Creationism and much else. Of course this begs the question: Can the God issue BE settled? Somehow I think not.

What are your views?

6 comments:

Juggling Mother said...

Wow, that's a question and a half CK.

FWIW, I think the issue can be settled, but not in the present;-)

Also FWIW, I am happy to continue to debate on many of the blogs you are so disillusioned with. Probably because I do not intend to change their owners minds (although of course that would be a good outcome of any debate), but rather I am really interested in learning/understanding their stance & opinion. I am not fundementally opposed to people having religious beliefs (although I don't understand why they have them), and believe that tolerance & understanding will eventually lead to the decline of religion. Oppression & subversion have historically made it stronger, whereas in countries where nobody cares, the majority of the population are non-religious or atheist/agnostic.

CyberKitten said...

Mrs A...

What can I say... I know how to ask a good question.

Maybe I'm old & cynical... but I'm getting fed up with the 'God did it' fallback position to any searching question. Though I guess that Theists get equally frustrated with atheist answers... (grin).

Maybe I just need to up my medication & go lie down till it all goes away.

Baconeater said...

If I can make one Fundy change into someone who believes in Theistic Evolution, I will be satisfied. I think that can be accomplished. I also think that if the believers start opening their minds they can drop the ID crapola.
Normally, I don't care to change minds, however this Fundy movement is as dangerous as the radical Islamic movement.

Laura said...

I also think that our cultural tendency to view all issues in absolute, dichotomous terms causes much of the conflict. In fact, most religions are based on such logic - I am correct. EVERYONE else is wrong. There's no in between, no compromise, no change.

It's frustrating for me as a person who is a moral relativist (I wear that badge PROUDLY thank you) and as someone who does not believe that something akin to "absolute" truth actually exists.

craziequeen said...

As long as we are able to think for ourselves, the question of faith will never be settled - each to their own....

And I don't think I've ever used that fallback 'God did it'... :-)

cq

CyberKitten said...

CQ said: As long as we are able to think for ourselves, the question of faith will never be settled - each to their own....

I'm not so sure that the question can't be settled - though I know what you mean about belief. Believing something to be true is not the same as something being true. Even if something can be shown not to be true there will still be believers. The only thing that should be able to be settled is if something is true or not. Belief is then up to the individual.