About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Careful Not to Get Too Much Education...Or You Could Turn Liberal

by Dr. Teresa Whitehurst posted on December 28, 2004 by CommonDreams.org

Sadie Lou and I had an exchange of views recently about what I said regarding the link between religion & Republicans – that being ignorance. Basically the idea was that too much education can make you an atheist or, worse still, a Liberal. This is an except from the article I remembered reading some time ago.

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to a conversation I overheard at a Starbucks in Nashville last winter. It was a cold and rainy night as I worked away at my laptop, but the comforting aroma of cappuccino kept me going. My comfort was interrupted, however, by two young men who sat down in upholstered chairs near my table. One was talking, the other listening, in what appeared to be an informal college orientation.

"But you do have to be careful about one thing," one of them said quietly, coming closer and speaking in hushed tones, "My professor-I have this great professor-told me that you have to be careful not to get too much education, because you could lose your foundation, your core values." The neophyte nodded solemnly, his eyebrows raised with worry. "If you get a bachelors," the seasoned student reassured, "you'll probably be okay. But my professor said that when you get a master's, and definitely if you go beyond that, you can lose your values. He said that college students have to be watchful because if you get too much education, you could turn LIBERAL. He's seen it happen to a lot of good Christians."

I found it hard to concentrate after that, my mind returning again and again to one question: "What would happen to higher education in America if this fear of "too much education", and this presumption that liberal views are the devil's snare rather than the logical consequences of exposure to science, philosophy, literature and diversity, became widespread?" Sadly, it has already happened, and is growing on college campuses across the US. A recent article by Justin Pope, "Conservatives Flip Academic Freedom Debate: Liberal professors are accused of attempting to indoctrinate students. But some teachers say pupils are trying to avoid new ideas." (AP, 12/25/04) describes this anti-liberal movement, weakly disguised as "balancing" their courses with conservative views.

As the young man in Starbucks said just before he and the incoming freshman got up to leave, "Even at Lipscomb, you have to be careful what you pay attention to. My professor said that a few faculty members might lead you astray without meaning to, by bringing in ideas that aren't biblical. He said that if you're ever taught anything that sounds questionable, you should talk about it with your minister to see if it's right." Even as a Christian raised in the evangelical tradition, this shocked me. I suppose it shouldn't have; the Southern Baptist Convention recently considered a proposal to urge all parents to pull their children out of public schools to prevent their exposure to "non-biblical ideas" which, as it happens, run rampant in fields like medicine, physics, archaeology, literature, philosophy, history, astronomy, psychology, theology-in short, everything.

What will happen to that innovative American spirit if radical "conservatives" have their way with our educational system? How will the US fare in the global marketplace when certain ideas, or entire fields, become off-limits to students who've been indoctrinated to consult their ministers before learning new information? What will happen to medical research, for instance, if this movement proceeds to its logical conclusion: outlawing the scientific method, a method notorious for not relying on biblical principles?

12 comments:

JR said...

Hi CK. Sorry I've been absent on your blog for awhile, but life has been way too busy and your posts are longer and more thought provoking and I hate to short-changed my responses. This topic is one my partner and I have discussed a great deal. We're constantly confronted by conservative-Christian ideas in our children's schools. The teachers only have bachelors. My partner is constantly confronted with conservative students at the college level. She has a Ph.D. Most of her colleagues are liberal, but not all. I think exposure to new ideas and understanding new concepts just naturally makes you question things that weren't accurate or complete to begin with. It doesn't mean you have to lose your soul. Some people can't reconcile their religious beliefs with opposing scientific facts. I have no problem living with both. I have four degrees and am very liberal, yet I still believe in God and live a very moral life.

CyberKitten said...

r10b said: I agree with your sentiments, CK. Academia is heavily skewed towards anti-God beliefs and practices..

Firstly they are not my sentiments. The article is from Dr. Teresa Whitehurst. My bit is the section in italics at the top. Sorry, I thought that was obvious.

You obviously have a different view of academia than I do - or maybe just different experiences. Although I can't remember the last time I actually had a religious teacher (indeed I'm struggling to remember any) I can't think of that many that were activively "anti-God" whatever you mean by that.

r10b also said: The reason many intellectuals (since the Enlightenment) are atheists is not because they know better but because they have made idols of their humanity and their intellect; but these things are no more worthy of worship than a used Kleenex(r) Brand Tissue.

Again your experince of intellectuals must be very different from mine. I don't recall any actually worshiping humanity or their own intellects. Do you mean that they put reason before faith, knowledge that is acquired through experiments and hard work ahead of revealed knowledge?

V V said: Hi CK. Sorry I've been absent on your blog for awhile, but life has been way too busy and your posts are longer and more thought provoking and I hate to short-changed my responses.

Hi V V - Don't sweat it. Sorry that I'm so thought provoking [grin].

V V said: We're constantly confronted by conservative-Christian ideas in our children's schools.

I guess that's another thing we can be grateful for over here. Although I don't have any kids in school I'm sure my sister (who has 4) would let me know if anything like that was going on in their schools. Such activities wouldn't get very far I think. Also my sisters kids are too bright and too outspoken to let a teacher get away with anything..

V V also said: Some people can't reconcile their religious beliefs with opposing scientific facts.

That's a very important point. If you have the view that certain scientific facts are wrong because they conflict with aspects of your faith.. then you have a problem. Either you reject the science or you reject the faith.. or you come to an acommodation. The response to the conflict (which may not actually exist) defines what kind of faith you have and how you cope (or not) with the world.

Juggling Mother said...

"He said that if you're ever taught anything that sounds questionable, you should talk about it with your minister to see if it's right."

Because, of course, your minister obviously knows more about biology/physics/law/geology ect than the biology/physic/geography lecturers! Stupid boy *slap on the back of the head*

Juggling Mother said...

CK said "Although I don't have any kids in school I'm sure my sister (who has 4) would let me know if anything like that was going on in their schools"

But all English schools have to teach a "broadly Christian" curriculum by law. And have a daily act of worship.

CyberKitten said...

Mrs A said: But all English schools have to teach a "broadly Christian" curriculum by law. And have a daily act of worship.

Really? I know its been a while since I was at school.. but... I certainly don't remember a 'daily act of worship'. We have morning assembly... But I don't think it was particularly religious.

..and what do you mean by: a "broadly Christian" curriculum..?

dbackdad said...

First of all, I find it hilarious that r10b could so magnificently miscontrue the point of your post. How anyone could read what those students said and agree with their narrow worldview is amazing.

Some Christian posters on this blog and Jewish Atheist's cannot get beyond their Christian way of looking at things. They see Atheism as a religion. R10b even talks about our idolatry of "humanity and intellect". I don't try to explain Christianity in terms of humanism. So why is the reverse not true? Insecurity, I believe. Christians cannot conceive of a world where you do not worship something. It is scary for them to think that there might not be something greater. However, I find it liberating. It means anything is possible. I'm not locked into some pre-ordained path. What's the point in living if your life is already set in stone?

If there is one point that the student says that I agree with ... it is that you become more liberal with more education. There is a reason for that. Walls are not being put up by education ... they are being knocked down.

The single most irritating thing about some Christian religions is the need to proselytize. Not to pick on r10b, but again: "The message of Christ is to be taken to the unbelieving world, not restricted to idle chatter between preacher and choir." Non-Christians are not just sitting around waiting to be saved by you. How one could go through life with such a condescending and insulting view is beyond me.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: How anyone could read what those students said and agree with their narrow worldview is amazing.

and: Christians cannot conceive of a world where you do not worship something. It is scary for them to think that there might not be something greater.

and: Non-Christians are not just sitting around waiting to be saved by you. How one could go through life with such a condescending and insulting view is beyond me.

It seems that a percentage of Christians (I wouldn't hazard a guess at how many) think that its their duty to 'save' the rest of us. After all.. they're already saved and want to spread the joy...

As you said.. they don't seem to understand that different (and valid) viewpoints exist. It's probably why people like Simon (from Upright & Breathing fame) think that atheists do actually believe in God but are just too ashamed or frightened to admit it - and the more they deny God the more they are actually crying out for salvation. I mean... Please....

dbackdad said...

R10b,

I certainly did not intend an ad hominem attack and if it came across that way, I apologize.

I understand the meaning of faith and as I've said on my blog and others, my wife is Catholic. Everyone has their right to their own beliefs. But, as you put it in your comment "... he knows the country better than you and you'd be foolish to ignore his advice.". That's where you and I diverge. I don't believe this is HIS country and I don't believe he knows the way better than I.

I don't consider myself to be more intelligent than you. There are a great many things that are "beyond me". But that's the beauty of it. The world and the universe is full of wonder and it's exciting to me to discover new things about it every day. I don't want to limit that by adhering to some book of mythology.

The "Message of Christianity" is not insulting to me. It is only insulting if those that believe in it feel the need to convert everyone else. I don't feel that I have to get you to give up Christianity.

And again, Christians need to resist the urge to paint atheism in the language of religion. You talk about the "Humanist basket". There is no basket. It's simple. I don't believe in god. I can't be offensive to something I don't believe in.

CyberKitten said...

r10b - Colour me impressed by your honesty.

Thanks.

dbackdad said...

r10b said, "Thanks for reading, thinking, and writing"

And the same to you. I'm not at all offended by your honesty and I enjoy our discussion.

Foilwoman said...

I'm not religious, but there are religious people I respect. See the man described in the second half of this post: http://foilwomansdiary.blogspot.com/2006/01/dramatiste-again-arrrghh-and-one-of.html

Most people want to convince you without actually taking anything upon themselves. To me, that's just hot air. This guy was the real deal.

CyberKitten said...

foilwoman said: This guy was the real deal.

I remember reading that a while back and feeling very impressed by him.