About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

A few more Quotes:

Each religion, so dear to those whose life it sanctifies, and fulfilling so necessary a function in the society that has adopted it, necessarily contradicts every other religion, and probably contradicts itself. ~ George Santayana

Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature! ~ George Bernard Shaw

How absurd to try and make two men think alike on matters of religion, when I cannot make two timepieces agree! ~ Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

2 comments:

Michael K. Althouse said...

The problem, as I see it, is not that there are so many beliefs (or lack thereof) in the world, but rather that there is such insistance that each is the one and only word of God. Furthermore, it boggles my mind that there are so many that view contradictory or even just different beliefs as a threat, that this perceived threat must be acted upon with violence (in its many and sundry forms) against the transgressor.

I don't need or want to be "saved." I don't care how or what anyone else believes. It affects my life not except when these beliefs are being forced upon me in any number if ways.

Of course I know that I'm "preaching to the choir." ;'}

~Mike

CyberKitten said...

mike said: Of course I know that I'm "preaching to the choir." ;'}

Indeed you are. The huge number of beliefs over time (and even in the present day) is one of the things that led me to atheism. After all if there was a universal truth then why don't people agree on it? If most religions firmly believe not only that they are right... but that everyone else is wrong... and none of then show any real evidence to back up their claims... how on Earth are you supposed to decide on the 'true path'?

Clearly they cannot all be right... but they can all be wrong..

Personally I don't really care what people believe.. though I am interested in *why* they believe it.