About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

An Introduction to Atheism

From: The Atheism Web

What is atheism?

Atheism is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods. This absence of belief generally comes about either through deliberate choice, or from an inherent inability to believe religious teachings which seem literally incredible. It is not a lack of belief born out of simple ignorance of religious teachings.

Some atheists go beyond a mere absence of belief in gods: they actively believe that particular gods, or all gods, do not exist. Just lacking belief in Gods is often referred to as the "weak atheist" position; whereas believing that gods do not (or cannot) exist is known as "strong atheism". Regarding people who have never been exposed to the concept of 'god': Whether they are 'atheists' or not is a matter of debate. Since you're unlikely to meet anyone who has never encountered religion, it's not a very important debate... It is important, however, to note the difference between the strong and weak atheist positions. "Weak atheism" is simple scepticism; disbelief in the existence of God. "Strong atheism" is an explicitly held belief that God does not exist. Please do not fall into the trap of assuming that all atheists are "strong atheists". There is a qualitative difference in the "strong" and "weak" positions; it's not just a matter of degree. Some atheists believe in the non-existence of all Gods; others limit their atheism to specific Gods, such as the Christian God, rather than making flat-out denials.

"But isn't disbelieving in God the same thing as believing he doesn't exist?" Definitely not. Disbelief in a proposition means that one does not believe it to be true. Not believing that something is true is not equivalent to believing that it is false; one may simply have no idea whether it is true or not. Which brings us to agnosticism.

What is agnosticism then?

The term 'agnosticism' was coined by Professor T.H. Huxley at a meeting of the Metaphysical Society in 1876. He defined an agnostic as someone who disclaimed both ("strong") atheism and theism, and who believed that the question of whether a higher power existed was unsolved and insoluble. Another way of putting it is that an agnostic is someone who believes that we do not know for sure whether God exists. Some agnostics believe that we can never know. In recent years, however, the term agnostic has also been used to describe those who simply believe that the evidence for or against God is inconclusive, and therefore are undecided about the issue. To reduce the amount of confusion over the use of term agnosticism, it is recommended that usage based on a belief that we cannot know whether God exists be qualified as "strict agnosticism" and usage based on the belief that we merely do not know yet be qualified as "empirical agnosticism". Words are slippery things, and language is inexact. Beware of assuming that you can work out someone's philosophical point of view simply from the fact that she calls herself an atheist or an agnostic. For example, many people use agnosticism to mean what is referred to here as "weak atheism", and use the word "atheism" only when referring to "strong atheism". Beware also that because the word "atheist" has so many shades of meaning, it is very difficult to generalize about atheists. About all you can say for sure is that atheists don't believe in God. For example, it certainly isn't the case that all atheists believe that science is the best way to find out about the universe.

12 comments:

dbackdad said...

Nice post. They are slippery terms. I've always called myself an agnostic but from a lot of reading and discussion on your and JA's blog, I'm probably closer to a "weak" atheist. But definitely not a "strong" atheist. That position can be as untenable and unprovable as fundamentalism.

Paste said...

I've found a new site that you just have to see to believe!
http://worstgenerationseed.blogspot.com/

CyberKitten said...

My stance has fluctuated between weak and strong atheism throughout my life. I have at times actively disputed the existence of God but have calmed down a little since then. I think that His non-existence is difficult to prove (as is proving anything absolutely either does or does not exist) but I don't think its impossible. I'm still looking for the "killer argument" [grin].

Dave: I'll pop over to that site when I get a few minutes to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Simon said...

I can't disporove a god doesn't exist. I can prove beyong reasonable doubt the Christian god (for example) does not exist. Therefore it is not irrational to be a confident atheist. Because without the human stories of gods, there would be no concept of god for us to deny.

CyberKitten said...

Simon said: I can prove beyong reasonable doubt the Christian god (for example) does not exist.

I'd be very interested to hear that... and welcome to my little corner of cyberspace.

Juggling Mother said...

Huh! You wouldn't believe how many times I've tried to explain to various theists that not all non-believers think exactly the same thing, and that saying "atheists belive X" is as impossible as saying "theists belive X" - or even more so!

But it never seems to have any impact, as time after time I am told what I must believe as an atheists.

Perhaps in future I should just direct them to this post;-)

Although you may not appreciate hoards of rabid theists telling you that not only are your beliefs wrong, but you don't actually believe what you think you do at all, but actually believe a warped version of communistic scientology & nihilism.

Ho hum. I'll keep trying to explain my position to them anyway. It's a hobby innit? :-)

CyberKitten said...

Hi Mrs A. Everyone needs a hobby... so they say.

If you want to check out another 'Bring it on' Christian Blog try this one: http://worstgenerationseed.blogspot.com/

- brought to my attention by dave. It's... pretty amazing.

Oh, and can I say again that I *really* admire your stamina arguing with Theists....

Juggling Mother said...

I'm off to check it out now..

Although the last blog I checked out cos Dave suggested it here closed their comment a few days later. Was it something I said do you think? ;-)

goal10der said...

A day late, but I just posted some thoughts regarding http://worstgenerationseed.blogspot.com/ - one post in particular, which I linked to. I thought everyone would be ineterested in discussing them.

dbackdad said...

CK said, "I think that His non-existence is difficult to prove (as is proving anything absolutely either does or does not exist) but I don't think its impossible. I'm still looking for the "killer argument" [grin]." -- You and me both. Every fiber of my being tells me there is no god, but I just haven't found the proof yet. But then again, I haven't found any proof that the tooth fairy doesn't exist either. How convenient for theists that more burden is put on others to disprove the existence of god than they have to provide to do the opposite.

Juggling Mother said...

Uberchap - you do not count as a rabid theist, nor do most of the theists that post here. I was thinking about people such as in the link above - did you go and read her blog? I mean, I'm all for fervour in your beliefs, but I also believe tolerance is a virtue, and at least the attempt to understand that other people may possible have different but valid opinions to be vital for society to work.

"I am not concerned about what you and other athiests believe unless you happen to misrepresent my faith.
"


How sad. I try to understand others points of view & debate sensibly with them. if you are only here to defend your position & not interested in learning anything, you're in the wrong place dont you think?

"you wouldn't believe how many times athiests have tried to tell me the truth about the God they think does not exist. This blog is no exception."

As this post explains, not all atheists are the same. some are rabid atheists (I dislike them as much as I dislike rabid theists), some feel it is their "duty to educate the misinformed" (I disagree - debate, not censure is the way forwards IMO), some refuse to talk to any theists, others have many other opinions. I would class this blog as obviously strongly atheist, but I don't think I've ever seen CK "tell" theists what they should or should't believe, just what he believes, why he believes it, and some other peoples opinion of why they believe similar things.

You've been around a while now, I'm sure you can tell the difference between expressing an opinion and imparting a judgement.

CyberKitten said...

Uberchap & Mrs A...

Thanks for keeping the debate going whilst I was on-line dealing with foul enemies of the Empire.

Always more than happy to have you both here. I'm sure we can all learn things from each other.