About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Just Finished Reading: Critical Mass – How one thing leads to Another by Philip Ball

This has been my bedtime reading (on and off) for quite some time. I normally read 5 – 10 pages of whatever book catches my eye from a pile of ten or so stacked by my bedside.

Critical Mass is the study of human group behaviour using ideas from the world of physics. Sounds strange I know, but Philip Ball makes a pretty good case that such a viewpoint can yield important insights into why groups of people act as they do. There were interesting explanations of traffic flow (I kid you not) both by vehicle and on foot as well as discussions of economic activity, alliances, politics and even mate selection.

Fortunately the book wasn’t too technical – there are precious few mathematical formula – yet it still manages to get across some fundamental physics (specifically to do with gases and magnets) and explains how they can aid in making Sociology much more scientific. As a Sociologist from way back I found that particularly intriguing.

This is certainly not lightweight reading though neither is it for the hardcore scientist. The book is well balanced in favour of those with a particular bent towards an interest in the human condition whilst not requiring a degree to understand it. Expect to get a reasonable mental workout – but expect to have fun too.

No comments: