About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

My Favourite Music: Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No.2

This is another of my favourite classical pieces and one that I had also heard long before I knew what it was. If you have seen either Brief Encounter or The Seven Year Itch then you’ve heard this piece of music.

For some, as yet unexplained, reason I love the sound of the piano. It may indeed be my favourite musical instrument, though I do like the guitar too – both classical and electric. This particular example of the piano is masterful and very, very Russian. It holds an infinite sadness and yet there is power and hope in there too. It soars with a knowing passion all too aware that nothing lasts forever. If you let it, the music can transport you to a place from which you return a wiser and more sober person. As I said, it’s all very Russian. Check it out if you have a spare 20 minutes or so. You won’t regret it.

2 comments:

Juliness said...

You make the Rachmaninov musical experience sound wonderful. I will look for this piece and listen with heart and mind open.

CyberKitten said...

Rachmaninov is great. I hope you enjoy it.

Welcome to my little piece of Cyberspace..