About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Just Finished Reading: The Enlightenment – An evaluation of its assumptions, attitudes and values by Norman Hampson

In this very readable book Hampson outlines the origins and development of Enlightenment thoughts and values during the 18th Century. Concentrating mainly on France (where it all began) he teases apart the often complex and conflicting movements of ideas across the Continent from England to Russia. Ending with the French Revolution of 1789 Hampson analyses the connection between to two and draws some interesting conclusions.

I actually thought I knew more about the Enlightenment than it turned out to be the case. From reading this book I now realise that the origins and growth of the ideas surrounding it are far more complex than I thought. Things were certainly not as ‘clear cut’ as I had imagined. Then again my knowledge of that period is less than complete - my historical interests being elsewhere (basically Ancient and Modern history with only a passing interest to anything in between). I certainly know a lot more about late 18th Century European history than I did before. My knowledge of the Enlightenment itself obviously needs to be deepened. I have a few more books on the subject waiting on my shelves so hopefully after reading them I’ll have a better understanding of what went on back then.

Though fairly old – being originally published in 1968 – Hampson’s book is well worth a read if you can find a copy. Only one thing irritated me about the text. He did have a habit of quoting from books in French or German without offering any translation. As my knowledge of other languages is limited I would have appreciated them in English too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been sorta sketchy about the way people have discussed the Enlightenment for a while, now. Because the Enlightenment has another name: the Age of Religious Wars. So, when people start cheering the Enlightenment as the Age of Reason compared to our own debased state, I sorta raise my eyebrows. They seem to be ignoring the complexity of the area and, indeed, the tremendous power religion had during the period, to be nostalgic about the very peak of power of religious white men. :p

CyberKitten said...

Indeed Chris. I guess I was expecting an Age of Reason and found out that it was anything but. It could be considered as the early stirrings of such an Age (with its slow rejection of Church dogma) but a truely reasonable time it was not. There was even a backlash against the rise of too much 'reason' in the form of Romanticism....

All very confused and contradictorary - messy in other words as is all human History.

dbackdad said...

I have two Mentor paperbacks from the 50's on "The Age of Reason" and the "The Age of Enlightenment". I have yet to read them. Your post has piqued my interest and I might have to read them next.

CyberKitten said...

I tend to find that more modern books are more.... useful. It might be interesting though comparing books written in the 1950's to one's written recently. Attitudes to things change quite a bit - even over 50 years.

In fact my ex-Tutor never liked me to cite a book more that 5-10 years old on my course. Ten years old was definitely pushing the envelope for her!