About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Just Finished Reading: Life, Sex and Ideas – The Good Life Without God by A.C. Grayling

Professor Grayling presents a wide variety of topics in his own distinctive style. Covering areas as diverse as Emotion, Fasting, Sex, Profit, Capital Punishment and Madness Grayling outlines his naturalistic philosophy through the use of contemporary examples. The short essay format allows the reader to think about the many moral issues we have to contend with on a daily basis and provides a humanist foundation for living the Good Life.

Although interesting enough to read quickly I must admit that I was a little disappointed with this volume. I thought that Grayling had sacrificed depth for a scattergun approach to philosophy. The breadth of topics was I thought far too wide and disconnected to provide a coherent response to the question ‘How do I lead a Good Life’. I did actually agree with much that Grayling said in his book but found the short essay/chapter format frustrating. I felt that as a quick overview of Humanist thinking it was fair enough but needed more ‘meat’ in the arguments presented. It certainly hasn’t put me off reading more of his books – I have at least three on my shelves unread – but I would like him to produce more detailed discussions of his ideas in the future. A thought provoking read but not a life changing one.

8 comments:

ACGrayling said...

Dear Cyberkitten - Your blog was drawn to my attention, and in response to your saying 'I would like him to produce more detailed discussions of his ideas' might I refer you to the following two books: 'What Is Good?' (Weidenfeld 2002) and 'The Choice of Hercules' (Weidenfeld 2007), this latter just now being published. They both deal with the subject of a humanistic conception of the good life in full book-length detail. The short essays you have read originated as newspaper columns designed to prompt reflection merely, to provoke, and to suggest, without wishing to tell people how to think - like contributions to a conversation. The two books just mentioned provide the meat you ask for - My good wishes to you -
Anthony Grayling

CyberKitten said...

ACGrayling said: Your blog was drawn to my attention, and in response to your saying 'I would like him to produce more detailed discussions of his ideas' might I refer you to the following two books: 'What Is Good?' (Weidenfeld 2002) and 'The Choice of Hercules' (Weidenfeld 2007), this latter just now being published.

Oh... my.

Welcome to my Blog Professor Grayling. I'm honoured.

Both of the books you mentioned are actually already on my Amazon wish list so I'll be getting around to reading both of them in the near future. I certainly look forward to delving deeper into your ideas.

I understood that the short essays in this volume had been a kind of 'thought for the day' in The Guardian back in 2002. I actually downloaded some of them for future posting here unless you object to that. I find that my ethical posts do tend to produce some interesting conversations and sometimes heated debates.

Thank you for your comment and welcome again.

ACGrayling said...

Dear Cyberkitten - please feel free to post some of the short essays. Good wishes to you.

Juggling Mother said...

oooh, now who's cavorting with the powerful and famous? *grin*

Actually, I rather like the sound of short essays - I find it difficult to get into in depth philosophy in most cases - too many distractions nowadays to just sit and read a book from cover to cover, so short chapters giving an overview would be graet for me. IO guess it's a case` of what's good for the goose.....

dbackdad said...

Nice, CK. While you rub elbows with the learned, I exchange barbs with Jethro who posts anonymously. Ah, we're just a different class of people evidently. lol

Kidding aside, your and Mr. Grayling's comments have prompted me to scare up some of his books.

CyberKitten said...

JM said: oooh, now who's cavorting with the powerful and famous? *grin*

Hey... What can I say... [grin]. This is where you get to play with the "Big Dogs"! [rotflmao].

JM said: Actually, I rather like the sound of short essays - I find it difficult to get into in depth philosophy in most cases - too many distractions nowadays to just sit and read a book from cover to cover, so short chapters giving an overview would be graet for me.

Grayling has writen several books in that 'bite-size' format - of which more later no doubt. They're good to read just before you go to bed or when you have a spare 5 minutes.

dbackdad said: Nice, CK. While you rub elbows with the learned, I exchange barbs with Jethro who posts anonymously.

Oh, I'm sure he's only passing through - being a busy man & all that...

dbackdad said: Kidding aside, your and Mr. Grayling's comments have prompted me to scare up some of his books.

He's well worth a read. Despite my apparently 'luke warm' review I found him to be very sensible and easily digested.

Laughing Boy said...

Now if only Julian Baggini would stop by to explain himself. :-).

CyberKitten said...

laughing boy said: Now if only Julian Baggini would stop by to explain himself. :-).

Well.... He *does Blog so you never know... [grin].