About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Just Finished Reading: Thomas Paine’s Rights of Man by Christopher Hitchens

I’ve had a copy of Rights of Man by Thomas Paine on my bookshelf for sometime – as yet unread – and, as is my habit, decided to read about it before I read the actual text. If you feel the same way then this is an excellent place to start. Although I am somewhat ambivalent about Hitchens himself I must admit that he writes very well indeed.

In this book – part of a series entitled Books that Shook the World – Hitchens places Rights of Man in its historical and political context and explains how the book was in response to an earlier work by Edmund Burke which criticised the French Revolution. Involved in both the French and American revolutions Paine was in a superb position to comment on both and to spread the philosophy of democratic self rule. Quoting extensively from Rights itself (as well as Common Sense and Age of Reason) Hitchens clearly explains why Paine’s works were so explosive in an age of absolute Monarchy.

Told with passion and a sprinkling of humour this fairly short book has definitely encouraged me to dust off several of the political classics languishing on my bookshelves and to actually read them. I shall be reading more of Hitchens too.

3 comments:

wstachour said...

I read his book on Mother Theresa a while back and bought God Is Not Great, which a friend promptly stole and has not returned!

I'll add this one to the list.

JR said...

Thanks for the book review. I went to Amazon to see what other "Books that Shook the World" are in the series and also discovered (1) there's an indexed set of cards on all the big books and (2) there's also "Words that Shook the World: 100 Years of Unforgettable Speeches and Events." As soon as I have some money again, I'll be ordering both. The cards would make a great game at the end of the semester for my class.

CyberKitten said...

wunelle said: I'll add this one to the list.

It's a pretty good read. I'm not really interested in his Mother Teresa book but his other one is on my Amazon wish list - so might be in my Christmas stocking!

V V said: I went to Amazon to see what other "Books that Shook the World" are in the series..

There are quite a few - with more forthcoming. I just have one other ATM - on Plato's Republic.

Good idea for the end of semester game.

I have my 'Meet & Greet' for my new course on Monday.... I hope I'm not going to be too much out of my depth [gulp].