About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Take the Revolutionary Road

by Michael Hardt for the Guardian

Thursday, July 5, 2007

It cannot but feel rather odd discussing Thomas Jefferson, who occupies such a central position in the US national pantheon, as a figure of modern revolutionary thought. For almost a century, after all, the United States government has served as the principal anti-revolutionary force in the world, striving to suppress revolutionary movements, openly plotting to overthrow successful revolutionary governments, and supporting surrogate counter-revolutionary forces in countries throughout the globe.

National political traditions, however, are not cut of whole cloth but rather contain sometimes surprising divergences and contradictions. The present anti-revolutionary vocation of the United States, in fact, makes it all the more interesting to find the thought of a revolutionary such as Jefferson at its core. When reading some of Jefferson’s most radical writings it is hard not to be struck by the vast gulf that separates his thinking from that of the current United States, its ideology, its constitution, and its political system and culture. After this initial surprise at the fact that Jefferson’s thought belongs to the revolutionary tradition, we should recognise how it still has important contributions to make, and can help us move beyond some of the central obstacles to thinking about revolution today.

Jefferson’s declarations of independence throughout his life not only mark the separation of the colonies from the colonial power but also, and more importantly, seek to keep alive the pursuit of freedom within society - striving to conceive of how the revolutionary process can continue indefinitely, how what 18th century revolutionaries called “public happiness” can be instituted in government, and ultimately how self-rule and democracy can be realized. Like all great revolutionary thinkers, Jefferson understands well that the revolutionary event, the rupture with the past and the destruction of the old regime, is not the end of the revolution but really only a beginning. The event opens a period of transition that aims at realizing the goals of the revolution. The concept of transition, however, is today a fundamental stumbling block of revolutionary thought and practice. The (often authoritarian) means employed during revolutionary transitions frequently conflict with and even contradict the desired (democratic) ends; moreover, these transitions never seem to come to an end. The travellers on the long journey through the desert end up getting completely lost, no nearer to the promised land, and that leader with a big stick starts looking a lot like the old Pharaoh.

In fact, whenever revolutionaries start talking to you about “transition” today, you had better watch out: they are probably trying to put one over on you. Jefferson’s thought, however, poses a novel conception of transition, which can help steer revolutionary thought around its current obstacles. He provocatively brings together, on the one hand, constitution and rebellion and, on the other, transition and democracy. The work of the revolution must continue incessantly, periodically reopening the constituent process, and the population must be trained in democracy through the practices of democracy. The first key to understanding Jefferson’s notion of transition is to recognize the continuous and dynamic relationship he poses between rebellion and constitution or, rather, between revolution and government. A conventional view of revolution conceives these terms in temporal sequence: rebellion is necessary to overthrow the old regime, but when it falls and the new government is formed, rebellion must cease.

In contrast to this view, Jefferson insists on the virtue and necessity of periodic rebellion - even against the newly formed government. The processes of constituent power must continually disrupt and force open an establishment of constituted power.

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.”

Rebellion against the government, he maintains, is so virtuous that it should not only be tolerated but even encouraged. Rebellion is not just a matter of correcting wrongs committed by the government, and thus only valuable if its cause is just; it has an intrinsic value, regardless of the justness of its specific grievances and goals. Periodic rebellion is necessary to guarantee the health of a society and preserve public freedom. “God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion,” he writes. In Jefferson’s view, rebellion should not become our constant condition; rather, it should eternally return. By my calculation we are well overdue.

[Fascinating stuff. I must admit that I don’t know very much about the period of revolutionary politics in early American history. This Jefferson chap sounds like my kind of people. If I ever find a spare moment to read up on him and the period I must do so.]

6 comments:

goal10der said...

Jefferson is by far my favorite of the Founding Fathers in America. He was so far ahead of his time in his thinking, sometimes I wonder if we have even caught up yet!

Also in his private life, he is extremely fascinating; overcaming numerous personal tragedies and fighting with inner moral dilemmas daily.

I don't know if it's available to you, but Ken Burns did an excellent documentary about him about 10 years ago. I know it's available on DVD here in the States. I highly recommend it.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0118489/

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I just read the comment above me and I must get that documentary...I have always been fascinated by Jefferson, and especially in more recent years--well, the last 30 or so, when I was first was introduced to a play about Jefferson's African-Amerucan Mistress and subsequent daughter..(I directed scenes from this play at the Theatre I blonged to, at the time....) That was the first I had heard about this man who owned slaves having a daughter by one of those slaves...That all these many years later and through the amazing discovery of DNA it has been proven that Indeed, Jefferson fathered this daughter abd I can't remember, but I think there was more than one child with the beautiful blavk mistriss that was such an important part of his life.
What do you suppose the personal dilemmas were for this man that had such strong ideas and ideals for America? Interesting to contemplate.

CyberKitten said...

Thanks goal10der... and welcome back. It's been a while.

It did surprise me Naomi that Jefferson *had* slaves. From what little I know about him it seems... out of character. Didn't they make a film about his love affair called 'Jefferson in Paris'..?

JR said...

Jefferson was an awesome thinker and writer. The last time I visited Washington, D.C. and visited his memorial, my radical little heart was stirred to its depths by his inspirational words. I'm currently, and actually have been for the last year, involved in a local revolution trying to throw off the yoke of a corrupt local government. We're constantly making headway, little by little. One win in the last election, court dates to prosecute the wrong-doers, and now getting our State's Attorney General involved. Thanks for reminding me of Jefferson. I think I'll go back and read some of his words of wisdom to inspire me on this continued path of rebellion and hopefully a revolution.

CyberKitten said...

V V said: I think I'll go back and read some of his words of wisdom to inspire me on this continued path of rebellion and hopefully a revolution.

Always glad to help along a little bit of revolution. The best of luck to you in your fight!

goal10der said...

Ha,I forgot to check back for comments after I made mine, what, 2 weeks ago?!!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome back, though I never really left. I've been reading all along, but I've been so busy recently I don't have time to make many comments...or write anything myself (see my blog!)

Nevertheless, I'm still around and I'll try to show up from time to time!