About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Just Finished Reading: The Dream of Reason – A History of Philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance by Anthony Gottlieb

This is the main course book for the philosophy unit I’ve just started so I had to read it. Fortunately for me it was very good and I managed to read the vast majority of it over Christmas at my Mum’s house. As you can imagine from the title it outlined the development of Western philosophy from its earliest beginnings in the Greek world. I didn’t know much about the pre-Socratics (such as Zeno of the Arrow fame) and to be honest they don’t interest me very much – being mainly concerned with mistaken interpretations of Cosmology and such. Things got more interesting in general (for me anyway) with Socrates and his two successors Plato and Aristotle. I haven’t read any Plato yet but I think that Aristotle rocks – even after being rather harsh on him in my first essay.

What I actually found most interesting was the later Hellenistic philosophers known as the Stoics and the Epicureans (and of course the Sceptics). You’ll be hearing more about them later I’m sure. The final section (which I didn’t need to read as it’s outside the timeframe we’re covering) was on the Medieval philosophers – of which their where precious few of note. All in all this was a very comprehensive (though not rushed) study of 2000 odd years of the human attempt to reason about the world and our place in it.

Gottlieb appears to really know his stuff and writes about it very well. He exhibits what can only be described as a love of his subject matter and not only manages to get this across to his readership – at least to me – but actually made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion with his sense of humour which I think must be pretty rare in historical philosophy books! This is definitely a book for the general interested reader and is, as one reviewer says, quite superb. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the history of reasonable thought.

2 comments:

JR said...

Cool. I wish I could make the time to read. I'm so backed up with books I'm not getting to. I can't wait for more posts. I studied Socrates, Plato and Aristotle in college, but I know I've forgotten more than I retained. It will be fun to read your take on them.

CyberKitten said...

V V said: Cool. I wish I could make the time to read. I'm so backed up with books I'm not getting to.

I usually manage a book a week but that's not really enough considering that I'm also (very) backed up with books to read. I suppose that its not helping that I've acquired another 12 books this week. I've decided not to buy any more until after my birthday in April. I can stop buying anytime I wish [grin].

V V said: I studied Socrates, Plato and Aristotle in college, but I know I've forgotten more than I retained. It will be fun to read your take on them.

I guess that you studied 'The Art of Rhetoric' by Aristotle in your Law course? Have you read Cicero's 'Defence Speeches'?

I'll be reading a bit of Plato today but hope to actually read some complete Aristotle books over my Summer break. Reviews, as always, will be posted here.