About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

My Favourite Movies: The Bourne Trilogy.

I know that it’s kind of cheating but I thought it appropriate to mention these three movies in the same post. I must also mention that I’m not exactly a fan of Matt Damon.

I went to see The Bourne Identity because of the trailer. I must admit that I wasn’t disappointed as the movie easily made my DVD list. I have never read any of Robert Ludlum’s books so didn’t have any preconceptions which probably helped as on attempting to read the book I found it turgid in the extreme (as was the original movie which I later struggled through). What made this movie above the average was a mixture of unfolding mystery – never fully resolved in the first film – the depiction of the CIA as a Byzantine organisation at war with itself and above all else the jaw dropping fight scenes between Bourne and his almost equal adversaries. Another thing I loved about this movie was the car chase across Paris which was one of the best I’ve seen. I also liked the lack of gadgets that normally litter James Bond movies (or at least used to until his latest incarnation) instead relying on the heroes training and use of often household objects. All in all a trilling film.

The sequel The Bourne Supremacy was, in my opinion, the weakest of the three movies but still managed to make my DVD list. Starting in India it brought the still largely amnesiac Bourne out of ‘retirement’ in an attempt to clear his name and exact revenge on the killer of his girlfriend. This was a very convoluted film revolving around Bourne’s first unofficial ‘assignment’ and the theft of $20 million of CIA money. It also introduced a new character Pamela Landy (played by the superb Joan Allen) who impressed me greatly. As we had come to expect from the first movie there were the usual jaw dropping fight scenes – I particularly liked the fight between Bourne and the last surviving Treadstone agent where he basically defeated him with a rolled up magazine. Again we were left breathless by another car chase this time through the streets of Moscow. With his name cleared and his girlfriend avenged (as well as more of his memory recovered) Bourne again disappears into the night.

The last in the trilogy was The Bourne Ultimatum. This cleverly starts within minutes of the previous film ending with Bourne making his was out of Moscow with the cities finest hot on his tail. Avoiding the police yet again Bourne vanishes only to reappear on reading that a British journalist has uncovered information about the operation Bourne was part of. Heading to London he meets up with the journalist only to see him killed by a CIA sniper. Deciding that the only way to be finally left alone Bourne decides to bring down the CIA covert-ops section once and for all. This I thought was the best film of the three. Both clever and knowing it referenced the first two movies wonderfully. Damon seemed to be completely wrapped up in the role and was at his believable best. You could almost see his character thinking as he calculated tactical outcomes and planned his next devastating moves. Again the fight scenes – particularly in Waterloo station when he ‘took out’ six or eight agents in a matter of seconds – just blew me away. It was also nice to see Julia Stiles (playing Nicky Parsons in all three movies) get more of a meaty role. Bourne finally recovers his full memories, completes his mission and survives after coming full circle this time in the Hudson River. Leaving some nice loose ends for the audience to chew over this was an excellent end to an excellent series of films. As a treat I watched all three almost back to back (separated by a bit of online gaming) on New Years Eve. It was a very good way to end the year.

5 comments:

craziequeen said...

[screams like a girly]!!

ooh, ooh, Matt Damon.....ooh!!

[checks self]

ok, cynic old git mode reactivated....

I admit [throws up hands] I have never seen any of these - managing to refuse your kind invitations!
But I just hear the words 'Matt Damon' and I run in the other direction...

cq

wstachour said...

It would be fun to watch them back-to-back (I should). I liked the third movie, but it definitely relies on the first two to keep it pulled together (which is not to say it wouldn't be enjoyable on its own).

I just can't get past the whole wiggly cam thing. You can actually SEE the production dictum: the camera must never remain still. I just think this is silly and a misplaced attempt to be edgy and hip, which is an inane, teen-age aspiration.

Love Matt Damon, though; love Julia Styles; love Joan Allen; love Chris Cooper and David Strathairn. I'm wondering what will come next, though there's a question as to whether Damon will do another. We'll see, I guess!

dbackdad said...

As I've mentioned on my blog, I believe the Bourne movies are the modern pinnacle of thinking-man's action movie.

I think Damon does a great job with this role. He says a lot with just a gesture or a look and is able to convey the inner turmoil.

I think I like the 2nd movie more than you, CK. Great fight and chase scenes, a couple of LOTR actors (Karl Urban and Marton Csokas) and another nice performance by one of the most underrated character actors out there - Brian Cox. He effortlessly goes back and forth between roles with an American accent and those with Scottish/British ones. In the last week alone, I saw him in Zodiak and The Water Horse.

And last, but not least, how can we all talk about Bourne and not mention the lovely Miss Potente. I loved her in Run Lola Run and I love her in the first Bourne film (and small part in the 2nd).

Antimatter said...

The Bourne Trilogy is fantastic, and the films are truly the best action movies of the last few years.

I'd like to think that the camera work is meant to create a documentary like feeling of immediacy, and is not meant to appeal to the 'teen' crowd. I think Paul Greengrass's filmography doesn't exactly scream 'hip' or 'trendy'.

Regarding the second movie, one thing I'd like to add is that there wasn't really any 'avenging' going on; in fact Bourne chooses not to kill the people responsible (which follows from what Marie said to him about having a choice to not be a killer. I don't think Bourne ever kills anyone except in defense). Even Kirill gets killed (presumably) in the car crash, and Bourne doesn't shoot him afterwards. I think the best part of Supremacy was how Bourne risks his life and goes out of his way to simply say sorry to the daughter of his first victims, his first step in his attempt at redemption.

Ditto on what's been said about the performances from the stellar cast, particularly Damon, Allen, and Potente.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I have only seen the first one and that was quite enough for me. It was a fascinating "action" mvie in many ways...But in all honesty, I am not a HUGE fan of these kinds of films....So, 2 and 3...well, maybe some day...!(lol)
Matt Damon...I don't know....That he was voted Sexiest Man of The Year by Anybody...Well, I just don't get it!