About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Do I exist?

On the face of it this seems a particularly silly question to ask. After all if I didn’t exist then how can I possibly question my own existence? The answer is surely obvious.

Or not. I think that the question posed is actually two questions. They are: Do *I* exist and the rather different Do I *exist*… You see the difference in emphasis I hope.

Taking the first question of whether *I* exist revolves around the question of is there an *I* a unique thing that is me that exists throughout time. It could be argued that the *I* of my youth is not the *I* of today. My physical appearance has most certainly changed a great deal since I was, say, 5 years old. I imagine that just about every atom in my body is different today than it was way back then. So even on the atomic level I am not the same person. This goes the same for the structure of my brain. My brain today is vastly different from that of the child that I was. My brain structure is also linked in a very deep way to the ‘structure’ of my mind. I have experienced much and learnt much in the years since I was 5 so again the question must be raised: Am I the same *I* that I was decades ago? In many real senses the answer must be No. Yet in another very real sense it certainly feels like I am the same person I was so long ago.

For one thing I have memories going back into my childhood. Is the *I* then a collection of memories that have a link through time. Am *I* the product of those memories? Of course the problem with this line of reasoning is that memory is notoriously fallible. If I forget important parts of my life through injury or simple old age does that mean that I am no longer *I*? What about false memories or hypnotic states or drugs that can add false information into the mass that makes up what is regarded as the essential *I*? Where does that leave my identity?

It is arguable that what I think of as *I* is being created millisecond by millisecond by my brain but is essentially an illusion. Maybe in order to function the *I* has been created by evolution in the brain/mind in order that I can act as a purposeful agent. Maybe those early humans born without an essential *I* found it difficult or impossible to cope with the many conflicting demands of their environment and so perished before they could pass on their failings to future generations? Maybe the *I* is being generated by the mind as just a way of managing a complex brain system.

The second question is whether I *exist* or not. It is possible though not necessarily plausible that we live inside an advanced computer simulation and are just fairly complex pieces of computer code. If we were written in a sophisticated enough manner we would never be able to discover this. In a very real sense, if true, it would mean that our entire existence is a fraud and that, again in a very real sense, we did not actually ‘exist’ in the sense that we would have no real presence. Another possibility is that I might be a machine programmed to believe that I was a ‘real person’. There would be no way to verify this by thinking about it because my ‘thoughts’ would have been programmed either to be incapable to conceiving of such a possibility or to come to the conclusion that I was mistaken. I could attempt to damage my body physically in order to expose the fraud but I could have been manufactured in a sophisticated enough manner to appear to bleed (or feel pain) or simply ‘experience’ the sensations without any of them actually occurring. In other words there would be no way of independently verifying my ‘real’ existence.

So, if I cannot prove absolutely that I exist where does that leave me? I think that the only rational position is to assume that I exist until proven otherwise. My experiences, questionable though they are, seem to support my existence in both of the senses I’ve been discussing. There is also nothing to suggest that I don’t actually exist despite the sceptical arguments already outlined. So, for the moment at least, I shall carry on as if I do indeed exist – even if it’s for the entertainment of a player in a computer game or for scientific knowledge during a simulation. What else can I do?

7 comments:

Antimatter said...

Your conclusion appears to be quite logical. :)

It makes sense to think of yourself, i.e. *I*, as being defined as a finite state machine of sorts, one that never returns to a prior state. You're always the same entity, just cycling through different states. Even if you forget your previous states or are sabotaged or rewritten, you're still the same machine. As far as you can tell, there is no other finite state machine quite like you, existing at the same point in space time, which makes you effectively unique. If that sounds like a load of bollocks, that's probably because it is!

If you did exist as computer code, then you would still *exist*, just not in the way you think you exist.

Btw, you must be a fan of P. K. Dick as well, right?

CyberKitten said...

AM said: Your conclusion appears to be quite logical. :)

Thanks. Like penguins I don't really *do* logic which I think is a great way of making mistakes with confidence. But I'll take your comment as a compliment [grin].

AM said: If that sounds like a load of bollocks, that's probably because it is!

I think I got the gist [laughs]

AM said: If you did exist as computer code, then you would still *exist*, just not in the way you think you exist.

If I *was* just sophisticated computer code I think it would be too emphemeral to be called true existence. Although you could argue that computer viruses are 'alive' in some sense of the word.

AM asked: Btw, you must be a fan of P. K. Dick as well, right?

I wouldn't desrcibe myself as a 'fan' though I have read quite a few of his books. I know what you mean though.... He was crazy too... [rotflmao]

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My Lordy...this is such a Mind Game.....!
I was thinking early on that it is true there s constant change in each of us as time goes on...One sedcond to the next--one minute---one hour---one day---one Month--One Year---Etc., Etc.,
BUT, what stays the same is one's DNA....BUT...BUT...if you really think we are all just something or other created by a computer someplace than DNA is as made up as Everytning else! I don't like these mind games.....! It leaves me feeling like then, we are all nothing and what is this all about, and THAT is just too damn depressing....!

dbackdad said...

"It is possible though not necessarily plausible that we live inside an advanced computer simulation and are just fairly complex pieces of computer code." -- The intrigue of such thoughts is what makes sci-fi and movies like The Matrix so interesting and so appealing to people like us. If for no other reason, they are useful thought experiments and make us analyze what it means to be human. What defines us as individuals - our physical nature or our thoughts and memories? Heady stuff. Love it.

CyberKitten said...

Naomi said: what stays the same is one's DNA....

That's a *very* good thought.But I'm not so sure that it does. Is my DNA now identical to my DNA when I was born? Not sure. DNA mutates over time which is one of the reasons we grow old - replication errors. Good idea though [laughs]

Naomi said: It leaves me feeling like then, we are all nothing and what is this all about, and THAT is just too damn depressing....!

Sorry Naomi - It's just the way my mind works. I like thinking about problems other people don't even see [grin]. At least it keeps me occupied and off the streets at night. But rather than depressing I find the whole thing rather liberating. But maybe I'm just having a nervous breakdown or something? Maybe I'm finally having my mid-life crisis? [laughs]

dbackdad said: The intrigue of such thoughts is what makes sci-fi and movies like The Matrix so interesting and so appealing to people like us.

Indeed. It's entirely possible that we live in The Matrix and there's no way we could discover if that was the case! Makes my head spin in a fun way. Much more fun that rollercoasters.

dbackdad said: Heady stuff. Love it.

Fun isn't it? I've come to the conclusion that when you dig down far enough there are no foundations to anything. It's like sitting on the edge of a cliff with your feet dangling over the edge. Looking down you can see... forever. You know what? I find that feeling rather exhilarating.

JR said...

Believe it or not, I was around seven years old when I stayed up late one night worrying whether I was real, or if I was only dreaming I was real. Then I moved on to, when would "it" (life) end, where would my mom be, would I be alone, would it hurt, where would I be after I stopped being me? I scared myself silly that night. Today, as a somewhat more stable adult, I've wondered what is real and how much our perceptions distort what we believe to be real. I usually fall into this thinking after I see a UFO or have some paranormal experience. Then I have to question what is reality. Is what I'm experiencing real? I come to the conclusion that it must be real in some sense, because as far as the paranormal situations go, they always come with information or guidance to keep me safe. Then I wonder if my brain just processes clues in my environment and relays them as a paranormal experience to get me to pay attention. What is real? Who am I and all that other existentialist mumbo-jumbo. Thanks for the mental diversion.

CyberKitten said...

V V said: Believe it or not, I was around seven years old when I stayed up late one night worrying whether I was real, or if I was only dreaming I was real.

I've heard of that before. I wonder if its a phase some people go through? Maybe I'm just a late developer - again!

V V said: Then I wonder if my brain just processes clues in my environment and relays them as a paranormal experience to get me to pay attention.

I think that the brain tries very hard to interpret what we see or experience and tries to make some 'sense' out of it - no matter how nonsensicle it turns out to be. Hence dreams.

V V said: Thanks for the mental diversion.

Always a pleasure to provide a distraction from mundane reality.