About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

What if you're wrong?

By Adam Rutherford

January 11, 2008

The essence of science is doubt, as my old tutor Steve Jones is fond of saying. Scientists continuously look for what is wrong with their work, and this beautiful system of constant challenge results in a continuum, a process, where being wrong is an essential part of gaining knowledge. I like the phrase biologist John Moore used: "science as a way of knowing".

"What if you're wrong?" is a question I was asked over Christmas by a Christian friend. The answer is quite simple: it really depends on what you choose to believe. I'm not a bad man. Surely a God of love will forgive the scepticism that he granted me and let me through the pearly gates? Any being who would send a good person to eternal damnation just because he has no faith doesn't deserve respect, let alone worship. Is this arrogant? No, it's simply logical. I'd love to be wrong. Heaven is surely a better option than nothingness. But there isn't enough doubt about reality for me consider the divine as an option. Many of you will be familiar with Pascal's Wager, a religious contingency plan from the French philosopher scientist, which can be simplified thus: if you believe in God the gains are infinite if he exists and the losses are none if he doesn't; similarly, if you are an atheist and he doesn't exist you've lost nothing. But if he does exist, you're screwed for all eternity. So you might as well believe. It's a cowardly approach to both positions and the wager is flawed. You might as well believe, just in case? No, thanks, I'll take my chances. If I'm wrong, isn't God going to be a bit narked that I only did it just in case?

Unlike science, religion is not a continuum of knowledge acquisition, and doubt is in many ways the opposite of faith. Nietzsche would have you think that Christianity regards doubt as sin, but it certainly is present: as Saint Mick said even Jesus Christ had his moment of doubt and pain. But religious doubt is always directed, its purpose primarily being a means of returning to a more mature and rigid faith. Fundamentalists believe that the Bible is the absolute and infallible word of God, even though they cherry pick which bits of the Bible they chose to follow. Even liberal Christians, those atheists in disguise, may have moments of doubt, but are not compelled to resolve these niggles in the same way a scientist would of his data.

As an atheist who is not willing to write off the faithful as deluded, I'm trying to understand what faith is and what it means to those who have it. I'd like the good faithful of Cif (Comment is Free) to help out with a thought experiment by trying to answer the same question: "What if you're wrong?" Now, due to the annoying scientific untestability of God, the only way I can see you buying into my scheme is if he actually revealed himself only to erase his own existence. "My experiment has gone on long enough, and you really ballsed everything up. Atheists were wrong, but from this moment are now right: I no longer exist." The god of the Bible is capricious and fallible, so I rather like this hypothetical absolute and ultimate U-turn. It sounds like something the God of the Onion might say. Aside from enduring insufferably smug gloating from both sides, the day-to-day lives of the millions of unbelievers will not be changed one jot. We will continue to live by morals that are guided by intrinsic and extrinsic factors, some inherent and some learnt. Many of the latter are derived from historical religious teaching. Former bishop Richard Harries was gracious enough to declare recently that atheists can be moral, and indeed researchers like Marc Hauser and Chris Frith are beginning to unearth a neurological basis for morality. The more scientists like these reveal about the biological nature of complex and uniquely human behaviours like morality, which the religious believe are rooted in their dogma, the less God is required.

But what would it mean to the millions whose actions are guided by faith, and whose lives are given up for the glory of God and the promise of life eternal? Would you go on as before, or would it mark the end of times? I ask this sincerely, not to mock or tease. Here's what Carl Sagan says on the matter: "You can get into a habit of thought in which you enjoy making fun of all those other people who don't see things as clearly as you do. We have to guard carefully against it." I couldn't agree more.

[It’s a good question – What if you are wrong? What difference would it make to your life if you found out that either God existed or that he didn’t? If you knew with 100% confidence that the opposite of what you believed was in fact true…. What would you do?]

6 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

well...
a) god does not exist. I was right. There is nothing after death. that is that. no worries.

b) god does exist (highly unlikely), I was wrong. I'll kick his sorry ass.

but still, this question is not very easy to answer, seeing as we could only know whether we were right or wrong AFTER death.
So...
meh?

wstachour said...

Even Pascal's Wager does not work, since it presupposes that "belief" in any god figure satisfies whatever god figure is actually out there. (It presupposes--as every religion does--its own supremacy by presuming a preemptive correctness.)

But given the huge divergence of opinion about the nature of gods and spirits and sprites and daemons, the likelihood that one has hit on the right one is exceedingly small; so one is almost certainly kneeling before the wrong god, which seems worse to me than believing only so far as evidence leads you to do--

Which is, to my mind, not at all.

In the end, I cannot bring myself to devote any time and brain cells contemplating being wrong (which I surely may be) because the ways of being wrong are infinite in number.

I think science is the right track, which enables me not to BE right but to TREND toward knowledge, which seems the only way to ultimately KNOW anything.

Juggling Mother said...

If I "knew" that God existed, obviously would immediately convert to whichever religion he specified. If he was standing there in front of me, with enough proof to definitevly prove to me 100% (which is, lets be honest, rathr unlikely - I don't believe very much 100%), then it would cease to be a faith and bcome a fact.

But I can't see it happening. The world would collapse if God turned up and proved he existed. whichever type he turned out to be! And if so, surelyI would be in a far better position than all thepeople who believed in the WRONG God. At least i could say i used the knowledge and evidence available to come to a rational conclusion.

Antimatter said...

Tough one... I'd cross that bridge if and when I ever get to it. I imagine it would require more than a little reassessing of life, the universe, and everything. And perhaps a stint in an asylum!

CyberKitten said...

I'm not sure how much it would change things for me. I don't believe my ethics would change. I see myself as a good person so don't need Gods approval in that area. I certainly would worship Him or anything! Though it would be nice to know *which* God to be angry with for the mess that things are in [laughs]

sirkolgate said...

Been gone a bit... this one's interesting.

If I knew for 100% there was no God I'd continue to live as I did, but be saddened that He did not exist.

See... I think the common fault of Athiestic reasoning is to believe that a Christian would not be ethical if they didn't have their religion.

Would I immediatly cheat on my wife, start stealing from work, stop thinking about consequences to my actions?

No...

I would just know that there was NO God. It would sadden me because a life that previously existed with no bounds was suddenly very bounded and finite. I would be discouraged in that indeed science is clever and can define all that we know.

In truth I'd not change in a person, but how I concieve the world would shrink, lose flavor, and be rather boring and moded.