About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, July 28, 2008


Just Finished Reading: Ancient Rome – The Rise and Fall of an Empire by Simon Baker

Rome has an eternal fascination – at least it does to me. It’s incredible to think that from its foundation in 753BC the Western Empire lasted until it fell in AD476 with the Eastern Empire falling with Constantinople almost a thousand years later. Besides the awesome grandeur of Rome all other later Empires pall in comparison. I guess that’s why modern Empires from Il Duce’s Italy to modern day America want to be compared to it. Some chance I feel!

Simon Bakers book covers the period from Rome’s foundation – by the mythical Romulus and Remus – up till its slow slide into history after being sacked repeatedly by invading so-called barbarians. It’s a fascinating tale – some of which I knew already – told in chunks centering on iconic Emperors or significant events. In some ways it surprised me just how resilient Rome was despite its multitude of bad (and mad) leaders to say nothing of the in-fighting, assassination and corruption. Survive and prosper it did though even with all of the above. I learnt quite a bit from this book in spite of thinking that I had already a fairly good – if general – knowledge of the subject. Baker manages to write in such a way that Roman politics, often convoluted though it was, is easy to understand and appreciate even when I was despairing at how stupidly some of the people involved behaved. If only, I thought, some of these people had acted more in the interests of the Empire and less in their own then Rome could still be here. Of course that may not exactly be a good thing out here on the edge of the Empire – but hey, I can dream can’t I?

All in all this was a very good book. You’ll be hearing more from the Italian colossus in the future no doubt.

Strength & Honour!

2 comments:

Paste said...

Can I recommend, 'Imperium' by Robert Harris? A story of Cicero as told by his scribe/slave.

I too have a fascination with Rome so I shall certainly be trying to get a copy of Bakers book.

CyberKitten said...

Paste said: Can I recommend, 'Imperium' by Robert Harris?

Thanks. It's already in my pile-o-books waiting to be read [grin].

paste said: I too have a fascination with Rome so I shall certainly be trying to get a copy of Bakers book.

I have most of a shelf worth of books on Rome & Greece to work though including books written at the time. I will, of course, be reviewing them here ae I read them.