About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Saturday, July 19, 2008


Just Finished Reading: Buddhism Without Beliefs – A Contemporary Guide to Awakening by Stephen Batchelor
This was an interesting little book that has been languishing on my bookshelf for quite a time now. Stephen Batchelor basically puts forward the idea that the Western mentality is more open to the non-mystical side of Buddhism and should concentrate on that rather than things little reincarnation. Such things, Batchelor asserts, are additions to Buddhism that can safely be ditched – because Buddhism was never intended to be a religion but was instead a methodology, as something to do.
This book is very interesting indeed and will reward re-reading at some point. It highlights the (obvious) point that life is suffering and poses the question: What are we going to do about it? Rightly, I believe, the author says that suffering is often caused by attachment. Ditch the attachment and you remove a powerful cause of pain. Of course this is much easier said than done! The book outlines some methods for recognising the causes of suffering and ways of reducing their hold on us. A lot of space is also dedicated to the Self – which according to Buddhist philosophy doesn’t actually exist. I can certainly appreciate their point and may indeed be coming around to their point of view (at least intellectually!).
I don’t think that this is a book you can (or should) simply read and forget. I think that the author is saying some important stuff here. This book has definitely increased my appreciation of Buddhist thought and maybe, just maybe, my understanding of it too. It’s an interesting philosophy that deserves the time and energy to explore. More to come on this topic I feel…..

4 comments:

dbackdad said...

Shawn at Cheese is Moldy Milk talks about Buddhism quite a bit. He's basically an atheist like us but approaches Buddhism in the manner talked about in this book (minus mysticism). I've wanted to read up but was never sure of a good starting point. Sounds like this book might be one.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: I've wanted to read up but was never sure of a good starting point. Sounds like this book might be one.

I think you'll really like it. It should give you lots to think about - as it did with me. If you do read it I'd be interested in what you thought of it.

JR said...

I have a book of Buddhist sayings and thoughts on my bookshelf. I've found a lot of peace meditating on different texts, depending upon my mood and the current crisis. I've had this book for more than 15 years and it still seems so timeless to me. Wish I had time to read more for pleasure. I'm currently reading books I'm assigning for classes this fall. I'll be teaching full-time in addition to lawyering full-time. Ugh!

CyberKitten said...

V V said: Wish I had time to read more for pleasure. I'm currently reading books I'm assigning for classes this fall. I'll be teaching full-time in addition to lawyering full-time. Ugh!

Reading stuff because you have to is such a chore sometimes. I just like to follow my interests (which change by the day) & see where it leads me.

More course based books coming up for me too....