About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, October 20, 2008

My Favourite Movies: Aliens (Special Edition)

57 years after the events of the original Alien movie Office Ripley is picked up by a deep space salvage crew and returned to Earth. After finding out that her daughter has died she is investigated to determine the facts surrounding the destruction of her cargo ship the Nostromo and subsequently demoted. Meanwhile, on orders from Earth a family of prospectors travels to the crash site Ripley’s team found nearly six decades previously. This act unleashes the horror that Ripley knows all too well. When the Colonial Marines are called in to investigate the loss of contact with the colony Ripley is coerced into joining them on their rescue mission. But by the time they arrive the worst has happened and hundreds of aliens have hatched. Can the Marines with their awesome firepower survive the onslaught of creatures the like of which they have never experienced before?

When I first saw this movie on its release in 1986 I was quite honestly awestruck. I had seen the previous horror flick Alien and enjoyed it very much but the sequel Aliens was kick-ass hardcore science fiction. The combat sequences just totally amazed me. This, I believed, was exactly how combat SF should be! With an excellent cast – led by Sigourney Weaver as the iconic Ellen Ripley – and outstanding special effects this instantly became on of my top 5 all time favourite films and for a long while my favourite SF film of all time. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen this movie but on watching it again recently I realised that I know whole chunks of it word for word. The highlights for me – apart from the already mentioned combat scenes – are the acting of Michael Biehn as (only a grunt) Hicks, Lance Henricksen as the artificial person Bishop, Bill Paxton as the complainer Hudson and the fantastic Jenette Goldstein as Vasquez.

This film has (probably literally) burnt itself into my consciousness. I use some of the lines from it in everyday life – “Marines.... we are leaving” – and cannot help thinking of the scene where Ripley and Hicks are in a lift waiting for the doors to close (followed by an Alien trying to force its way in) every time I press a lift button and then wait….. for the door to close! This is an outstanding SF film by a director at the top of his game and is still the best of the Alien series by far….. and I so want a pulse rifle for Christmas!

11 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that thinks of this movie when I get on a lift, especially the big freight elevators at work.

The beeping of the motion sensors still freaks me out.

"Get away from her you bitch!"

I get chills thinking about it.

Neo said...

I am a big space sf fan, not to keen on the horror versions liked 2001 a space oddysey and similar movies, thought planet of the apes was so cool

dbackdad said...

Aliens ruled. Paxton's character is hilarious. I thought Paul Reiser did a great job in the portrayal of his character too.

James Cameron is not one for subtlety but he knows his strengths and this movie works them to perfection.

One of my favorite lines is between Paxton's character and Vasquez:

HUDSON - "Hey, Vasquez...you ever been mistaken for a man?"

VASQUEZ - "No. Have you?"

Laura said...

I love this movie too. If you haven't seen the directors cut with the deleted scenes edited back in, you really should. If for nothing else than for the Autoguns sequence. One of James Cameron's best. I remember reading some feminist critique of this movie that bashed it for turning Ripley into the maternal figure but what the author forgot is that Ripley was also one of the first (if not THE first) female action hero. Can't she be both?

Thomas Fummo said...

damn.

*feels left out*

*shall rent and then buy on dvd*

[grins hopefully]

VV said...

Man, this movie scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. That Alien is my worst nightmare and the birthing of the baby aliens, *scream*!!

Antimatter said...

Great review CK, this one's one of my favourites. The only point I'd disagree on is about it easily being the best one - I'd argue that the first has the edge there, and has aged better.

Regardless, it's apples to oranges, as the two films - while being cohesively a part of one universe - are so different in style, with the first being a suspense horror and this one being all out action.

Brilliant film, easily one of the best sci-fi/action films ever (if not THE) and infinitely rewatchable! Nuke 'em from orbit... it's the only way to be sure!

CyberKitten said...

mike said: I'm so glad I'm not the only one that thinks of this movie when I get on a lift, especially the big freight elevators at work.

[phew] It's not just *me* then... I feel so much better - thanks!

neo said: I am a big space sf fan, not to keen on the horror versions liked 2001 a space oddysey and similar movies, thought planet of the apes was so cool.

Hi, neo. Welcome. I'm a *huge* fan of SF both in book form and movies. You'll probably find something of interest every few days on this site...

dbackdad - that line is sweet isn't it? Great timing. The whole movie is chock full of quotable lines.

laura said: If you haven't seen the directors cut with the deleted scenes edited back in, you really should.

The review was of the Directors cut/Special edition.... [grin] It is indeed better than the cinema version.

laura said: If for nothing else than for the Autoguns sequence.

Definitely. It also explains why the marines weren't over-run early on.... *Lots* of dead aliens in the corridors...

laura said: I remember reading some feminist critique of this movie that bashed it for turning Ripley into the maternal figure but what the author forgot is that Ripley was also one of the first (if not THE first) female action hero. Can't she be both?

Indeed. One of the publicity shots from the movie is Weaver with the girl Newt on one hip and the pulse rifle/flame thrower combi on the other.... I really can't think of a better feminist image really (but what do I know - being a man and all...)

tf said: *shall rent and then buy on dvd*

I have a feeling you'll like it!

vv said: Man, this movie scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. That Alien is my worst nightmare and the birthing of the baby aliens, *scream*!!

Stomach churning isn't it...? If you didn't like that I'd definitely avoid the latest AvP movie... [shudder]

AM said: it's apples to oranges, as the two films - while being cohesively a part of one universe - are so different in style, with the first being a suspense horror and this one being all out action.

That's why I think Aliens is the superior film - I don't really 'do' horror. Alien was a great film in its genre but SF is where my heart is.

AM said: Nuke 'em from orbit... it's the only way to be sure!

Most definitely. I might get that on a T-shirt.... [muses] [laughs]

Laura said...

Ah, Ok. You never can tell these days with special editions, super special special editions, director's cuts, and the like. Funny, this was just on cable last night. I still think my favorite scene is when Ripley first goes in the rescue the marines from their first recon mission. I can't help but stop what I'm doing and watch...

Stephen said...

I may try to find the movie just for Bill Paxton.

Thomas Fummo said...

ck said: I have a feeling you'll like it!

I certainly think so. And to think... years ago after seeing the first Alien movie, I regarded any sequel either unnecessary or blasphemous.

I think it's fair to say I was wrong :-)

(updated anti-bullshit. I think you'll like this one)