About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Favourite Movies: Troy

This is certainly not a great film even in its own sword and sandal epic genre. Yet despite its many faults I have to admit that there are elements within the movie that I really liked. That being the case it just managed to nudge itself over the line to get my coveted Gold Award.

Now I haven’t read The Iliad – the Greek epic poem on which it was based – but I am aware enough of the story. In a nutshell the action takes place over 3000 years ago when King Agamemnon (played in rather over the top fashion by Brian Cox) is unifying Greece under his rule. His brother – Menelaus King of Sparta (played by Brendan Gleeson) – has just signed a peace treaty with the greatest city in the East, the legendary Troy. Unfortunately his new wife Helen has fallen in love with the Trojan prince Paris (played rather badly by Orlando Bloom) who steals her away to his home city thus sparking the Trojan War. Agamemnon puts together a huge armada of 1000 ships and sets sail to conquer the last remaining threat to his power. Of the 50,000 Greek soldiers he commands are heroes whose names have travelled down the ages – Ajax, Odysseus and the greatest warrior of the age Achilles (played by Brad Pitt).

It is the character of Achilles that sold me on this movie. Pitt, I thought, played him superbly. As I’ve said I haven’t read the original text so can’t comment on the accuracy of the characters portrayal but just loved the way it came across. Achilles was more than aware that he was the greatest warrior who had ever lived, who was undefeated and almost untouched in battle. Yet he was at the same time a deeply tragic figure who passionately hated his fate. He had a disregard for just about everything except that he was determined – driven even – to be remembered down the ages. At one point his mother told him that he had a choice between a long happy life with many children but ultimate obscurity or a short bloody life with eternal fame. Well, we all know which life he chose.

The other thing I liked very much about the film was Achilles’ fight with Hector (played competently by Eric Bana) outside Troy’s city walls which was quite superbly choreographed. I do remember though that at this point in the legend that Paris shot an arrow from the battlements which hit Achilles in his only vulnerable spot (his heel of course). The filmed however added a love story between Achilles and Briseis (played by the delightful Rose Byrne) which meant that the death of Achilles was delayed until after Troy fell care of the infamous Trojan horse.

Of course there was many things wrong with the film but they didn’t really add up to very much in my view. I do know people who took an instant dislike to the film – especially with its truncated timeline but textual accuracy has never really been a Hollywood priority. Whilst being far from a perfect film or even a great one Troy is still entertaining enough but it is the central character of Achilles that pushes this film into my favourite category. OK, only just but it still counts.

6 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

I have read the Iliad.
Most boring, stupid, crappy, confusing, repetative war story ever.

The only character I liked was Hector, because he's a REAL hero, who knows what sacrifice is. Achilles is just some dumbass who was dipped in a magic river by his mother. Who happens to be a god.
I also happened to like Bana in the film.
The actor whom i thought was best at playing his role was Bloom.
Paris was a snivelling, oily coward of a prince.
Orlando did a great job.

Pitt was good, I suppose.

But generally I hated the film, I'm sorry to say.
But that's indipendantly from whether it was a good film or not. I hate the Iliad, so a hap-hazard blockbuster version of the Iliad was bound to get on my ****

I wish they'd spent all the money making a film version of the Odyssey.

Juggling Mother said...

I've never forgioven it for being so homophobic as to change THE central relationship in the Illiad!

But Brad in a mini skirt did help me watch it:)

wstachour said...

I saw this a while back, but am now listening to the zillion-hour-long audiobook of Margaret George's "Helen of Troy," and so I can't rewatch the movie until the book is done!

But I'll have all the names and characters in mind for the movie when I'm done.

CyberKitten said...

TF said: I hate the Iliad, so a hap-hazard blockbuster version of the Iliad was bound to get on my ****

[laughs]. I had the feeling that you would have an emotional response to this post! I keep telling myself that I need to read more of the classics - but just never get around to them. Maybe next year.....

JM said: I've never forgioven it for being so homophobic as to change THE central relationship in the Illiad!

Really? I guess I *must* read it now.... [grin]

JM said: But Brad in a mini skirt did help me watch it:)

He *was* very buff wasn't he. I remember the sharp in-take of breath from the female audience when he undressed after the fight on the beach....

wunelle said: am now listening to the zillion-hour-long audiobook of Margaret George's "Helen of Troy," and so I can't rewatch the movie until the book is done!

I have a copy of 'Helen of Troy' by Bettany Hughes that I keep meaning to read - so many books, so little time. I *really* enjoyed her history TV series so should really read her book. I'm sure that it will be equally fascinating and entertaining.

shrimplate said...

OMG The Iliad is so not boring!

The prose translations I was subjected to in highschool sucked rocks. A verse translation, like the one done by Richmond Lattimore, might change your mind about it.

Antimatter said...

I have to agree with you, this film isn't brilliant but there's something about it that makes it incredibly watchable. I think it's the old school feel, and the fact that it's so earnest! Oh, and I thought Bana was as good as Pitt in this as his 'opposite' - quiet and noble, but still every bit as heroic despite not being (nearly) invincible.