About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thinking About: My Dad

Somewhat strangely – or maybe not so strangely – I find myself thinking more about my Father now that he’s dead than I ever did when he was alive. Maybe it’s because now I have lost the opportunity to actually get to know him better. My family are not exactly forthcoming or emotional but is still surprises me that I actually know very little about my Dad. I know he was born in 1929 and joked that he was at sea during the war – being on a boat aged 10 with his family coming to England from Eire. I know he did National Service in the 50’s and was based, I believe, in Newcastle of all places. He must have met my Mum in the early 50’s and they got married, I think, around 1956. After that he spent most of his working life on various building sites. I know that times were not always easy but there was always food on the table and clothes on our backs. Thinking back I think that we were rather ungrateful children – at least me and my brother were – because we were blissfully unaware of my parents lack of money.

I think the most personal thing my father gave me was a love of film. I have memories of watching apparently endless black and white movies during the weekends as well as seemingly constant trips to the cinema where my love affair with the movies deepened. My father was also an explorer, taking us out on trips all around the area. Whenever we complained that we’d walked too far he always said “Let’s see what’s around the next corner.” Of course this turned into the next corner and the one after that. Then there were the museums and art galleries where we spent hours looking at artefacts from around the world and through the ages. We often ended up at Liverpool docks watching the ships come in. I remember (vaguely) scampering over warships that visited the port including – I think – the Ark Royal and a nuclear submarine. One of our favourite trips was on the ferry across the Mersey. In those days you only paid if you got off at Birkenhead so we stayed on and got a free trip across the river and back again. Of course the common denominator in all of this is that it hardly cost any money at all – because, I’m convinced, we simply didn’t have any. Oddly I can’t ever really remember noticing that we were poor in any way, probably because everyone around us was in pretty much the same position. I mean we didn’t have inside plumbing until 1970 after I had turned 10.

After I moved out on going to University I didn’t go home very often and as the years passed I became shocked at how old my father had become – as if the aging process had simply accelerated somehow. Of course it hadn’t it was just that I saw my family less and less often. Dad had always had problems communicating with his kids – though again oddly total strangers would stop him in the street for a chat (something they do to me too!) – so we never exactly engaged in long conversations. Then in the blink of an eye he was gone. I’d been home one November for a week because I wasn’t planning to go home for Christmas that year. Dad was still getting over a bout of illness and had recovered some of his strength and weight. He seemed actually healthier than I’d seen him in a while. A few weeks later he was in hospital with a lung infection. A few days after that he was dead.

I got some compassionate leave from work and got the train home. That was a weird trip. Everything seems either hyper-real or totally unreal. I can’t really make my mind up which. I hated the funeral. We were driven to the crematorium in a big black limousine and I felt as if everyone was looking at us – which they probably were. My mother – bless her – had requested a light Christian ceremony rather than the full on Catholic affair. She said to me “No tutting or rolling of the eyes, OK.” I couldn’t help but laugh at that. I actually lost count of the number of times the stand-in priest mentioned God but I kept my word and not one tut escaped my lips. What disgusted me most though was the conveyor belt process it turned out to be. After the words were said the coffin was whisked away and we were ushered out of the side door to allow the next family to have their 40 minutes of public bereavement. Then back home in the limo again. Apart from the family hardly anyone attended. This was partially because Mum didn’t want a fuss and partially because we don’t know that many people. I couldn’t help wondering how many people would be at my funeral.

I didn’t cry. After three years I still haven’t cried. I was expecting to after it hit me but still – nothing. I did feel numb for a while and sad for much longer but actual tears? No. I did feel a bit guilty about that. I still do. But I do think of him more than I ever did. Maybe that’s something at least. I do look in the mirror sometimes and can’t help seeing how much I look like him. Maybe that’s another of his legacies. Maybe that’s how I’ll keep on remembering him. That and classic movies oh, and John Wayne.

5 comments:

VV said...

Well, you have memories growing up with him. You have memories of the movies, the docks, the museums, and the exploratory walks. Now you contemplate who he was and think about him more now than when he was alive. Something about him still sticks in you and makes you think, makes you wonder. You have more than many, a dad who stuck around to raise you, despite how desperately poor you were. You can tell a lot about a man by the choices he made, by the way he dealt with life's difficulties. It sounds like you had a good man in your life, and even if there wasn't a lot of verbal communication going on, I think you got a lot from his non-verbal communication. He showed you every day how much he loved you by making sure you had food and shelter. He gave more by taking you with him to experience the things that brought him joy. The fact that he wanted to share with you the things that interested him, shows he wanted you to appreciate those same things or at least understand what they meant to him. There are many people who would have been thankful for a dad like yours, including me.

dbackdad said...

Thanks for sharing. Great writing with wonderful insights and memories.

I like your Mom's line - “No tutting or rolling of the eyes, OK.” lol.

My word verification for my comment was "ontioc", which couldn't help but remind me of "Antioch", and in turn, the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, from the Holy Grail. Blogger apparently has a sense of humor and irony.

Thomas Fummo said...

I feel exactly the same with my Grandad.
Roy wasn't my biological grandfather, but the only grandfather I have ever known.
I say know... and that's the point, really.
I have lived my whole liofe in Italy and only saw my english grandfather during the holidays.
Thusly his hugs were stiff... our conversations brisk. He was also one of those 'real men don't show their emotions' people, which didn't help.

The funeral you described was very similar to his, except it wasn't religious.

I find it so strange, considering that I share no blood with him whatsoever, no genes... that after he died I started taking an interest in all his hobbies.
I discovered how interesting mechanics is and how funny Spike Milligan was.

All of this is wonderful... but at the same time I find it incredibly distressing, knowing that I will never be able to tell him how much we are alike, or were alike.

I suppose I could say that I know how you feel, anyway.

Juggling Mother said...

My father is still alive and I still know reasonasbly little about him, and tbh, have little interest in learning much more. very few childhood memories of him really - a few of family day-trips in ther summer holidays, but lots of teenage memories where "hate" was the prominent emotion. As an adult it's mellowed into complete disinterest - if I hadn't had kids, I doubt I'd have ever seen him again after leaving home.

I've never quite decided on what his emotions about his kids are/were. I think maybe vaguely pleased that we turned out ok.

But I certainly miss speaking to my brother more now he's dead than I did when he was alive. I think its because there is more to ask him each year, as the questions are cummulative. That funeral was horrendous - and I agree about the conveyor belt thing n- we were literally shoved out to make room for the next one, even though they must have known it was going to be a big funeral - there was a fair amount of press coverage, and over 500 poeople attending (including some high profile politicians). The one thing every member of my family walked away with was the absolute conviction that we would never have a religious funeral! No tutting there, if she hadn't obviously been 8/9 months pregnant she might have been lynched on the spot!!!

As said above - you have all those good memories of your dad. that is all anyone can hope to leave. treasure those, and pass them onto your nephews/neices.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Both my parents are still alive. They were both born in 1939 and I in 1969.

I am very close to both of my parents, and even closer now since I bought a house that is a five minute walk from them.

I got my love of books, movies, music, and the outdoors from my Dad. I got my love of people from both of them.

As we all grow older I have begun to think about their deaths. I know I will be very sad, I don't know if I will cry, but I'm pretty sure I will. Sometimes I cry at odd times, and then sometimes, during similar events, not at all.

Thank you so much for your wonderful post.