About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Friday, January 02, 2009

Just Finished Reading: The Carnival of Destruction by Brian Stableford

In 1918 as the Germans advance towards a defenceless Paris a young French sniper lies dying in a foxhole. As he dies he sees for a moment a spectral Maid of Orleans who offers him a deal. If he will act of her behalf she will save his life. He accepts her offer and becomes a foot-soldier in a much larger conflict that has been raging on Earth since the beginning of human existence. For Earth is a battleground fought over by seven creatures some call Angels. These so-called Angels have the power of creation as well as terrible powers of destruction and have used humans – and creatures of their own creation – to operate for them in the material realm. But their time is finally coming to an end. Humanity is about to answer the question that drives them like no other: Who and What they are.

This third book in the trilogy (preceded by The Werewolves of London and The Angel of Pain) can only be described as rather strange. In some ways it isn’t really a novel at all but a great thought experiment played out against a fantasy backdrop. There is a sort of plot behind it all as well as characters from the previous two books and yet there isn’t really a storyline in any conventional way. What little action there is in these 500 pages is separated by long discourses between the antagonists on the meaning of history and the origins of the universe (amongst other things). We are flung into alternate worlds – which were very reminiscent of H.G Wells or Olaf Stapleton - and alternate utopias so that particular characters can make particular philosophical points. It was often very bizarre indeed. Whilst inevitably verbose (given what I’ve already said) and rather too long – a common complaint from me I know – this book was a more than interesting read. Stableford is a difficult author to pin down. He’s certainly a master of the big idea and writes beautifully but he does sometimes run with an idea a little too far. He is a great pleasure to read but honestly can go on a bit. I still think that The Werewolves of London was one of the best books I’ve read though I honestly struggled with the second book. This final volume was worth the effort it took tracking it down – it’s presently out of print I believe - and I’m glad I finally read it. As to whether or not it was any good – at this point I honestly couldn’t say. It does kind of haunt you though. [muses]

No comments: