About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, February 02, 2009

My Favourite Movies: Hellboy

In several ways this is a rather surprise entry for me. I first saw this movie with the guys and really didn’t like it – it basically left me cold and very unimpressed. Unfortunately, I had already promised to see it again with CQ who was away visiting her Mother at the time. Anyway, I gritted my teeth and dragged myself off to the cinema for a second showing – and, much to my surprise, actually quite enjoyed it. A little while later one of the guys at work gave me a downloaded copy I hadn’t even asked for. So I ended up watching it a 3rd time on a slow weekend – and found myself liking it even more. Eventually (actually last week) I bought a legitimate copy and watched it yet again – for probably the 7th or 8th time.

Despite seeing most (if not all) of the recent spate of super-hero or comic-book movies it’s a genre that I’ve never found particularly interesting. Despite the promptings of several of my friends I just don’t ‘get’ comics. To be honest I find them incredibly dull. So how is it that I find myself really liking this movie? Firstly its very well made. From the set design to the script to the acting, the whole thing is pretty much flawless. I liked how it didn’t take itself too seriously – without falling into comedy or slapstick. I always like it when obviously fantastic themes are played straight and deadpan as if (and rightly so) this kind of thing happens every day. I liked the fact that the baddies where almost cartoon Nazi’s of the type I enjoyed in Raiders of the Lost Ark. But what I really loved about this movie was its central characters played by Ron Perlman (sheer perfection as Hellboy), Selma Blair (as his beautiful, troubled and conflicted ‘firestarter’ girlfriend), the always wonderful John Hurt (as his adopted ‘Father’and head of the Paranormal Division), Rupert Evans (as the innocent neophyte FBI Agent), Karel Roden (as the completely evil Gregory Rasputin) and finally Biddy Hodson (as the equally evil and probably psychotic Nazi lover of Rasputin, Ilsa Haupstein).

The storyline was almost archetypal in its use of themes – a hero completely out of his normal environment with a destiny and identity unknown even to himself, an evil genius with a burning desire to destroy the world, a good man who is on the point of death just when he’s needed the most, a woman who needs to accept what and who she is become she can gain control over her amazing abilities… it just goes on. This film is basically a master class in how to make good fantasy films which are strong on plot and character whilst avoiding the pitfalls many of the other movies of this genre keep falling into. To date this is (pretty much) the only super-hero/comic-book film I would rate as above average. Most of the rest didn’t even make my Bronze list. But this film just seems to get better every time I watch it. Brilliant.

9 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I really enjoyed Hellboy, and like you, even more so with multiple viewings. I enjoyed Hellboy 2 even more, though some fans of the original didn't like it.

I enjoyed the X-Men movies, and loved Iron Man. I hated the Batman movies from the 80's and 90's, even though some of the performances were great. I loved batman Begins, and enjoyed The Dark Night, especially for Heath Ledger's Joker.

The only other super hero movie I can think of that I love is Mystery Men, but of course it's a comedy.

CyberKitten said...

mike said: I enjoyed Hellboy 2 even more, though some fans of the original didn't like it.

I didn't like it as much - despite all of the good bits. I think they just... tried too hard with the 2nd one.

mike said: I enjoyed the X-Men movies, and loved Iron Man.

I liked *parts* of the X-Men movies and quite liked Iron Man - it was certainly one of the best of that type in recent years.

Mike said: I loved batman Begins, and enjoyed The Dark Night, especially for Heath Ledger's Joker.

Again I like the first half of Batman begins - but for me the 2nd half sucked. The Dark Knight was, IMO, only worth watching for Heath Ledger - who I thought gave the performance of his life and was the best Joker *ever*. Unfortunately I was less than impressed by the rest of it.

Mike said: The only other super hero movie I can think of that I love is Mystery Men, but of course it's a comedy.

I can honestly say that I didn't like that movie - good attempt to break out of the super-hero mould though...

dbackdad said...

I definitely like Hellboy. I'm a fan of the director, del Toro, and am looking forward to what he'll do with The Hobbit and the movie that will bridge that and LOTR.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Watchmen also. Movies (and books) that seek to deconstruct and demystify iconic themes are a plus.

Thomas Fummo said...

I love Hellboy and greatly dislike Hellboy 2.
I enjoyed X-men 2 more than the first or the third.
I thought Iron man was cool.
I thought The Incredible Hulk was surprisingly well done.

and for not liking Mystery Men you lose fifty 'Tom's good mojo friendly fun' points.
Shame on you.

Karla said...

I only saw the first one. I didn't care for that one and I figured a sequel would be worse. Maybe I'll check it out now you that you put in a good word for it.

I think the rise of the super-hero movies and television shows are a picture of something going on in the hearts of humanity -- a yearning for something greater -- something supernatural.

Ali P said...

Karla said...
I think the rise of the super-hero movies and television shows are a picture of something going on in the hearts of humanity -- a yearning for something greater -- something supernatural.

Oh FFS!

CyberKitten said...

karla said: I didn't care for that one and I figured a sequel would be worse. Maybe I'll check it out now you that you put in a good word for it.

I actually didn't like The Golden Army very much....

karla said: I think the rise of the super-hero movies and television shows are a picture of something going on in the hearts of humanity -- a yearning for something greater -- something supernatural.

Actually Sper-heroes & Super-villians have been part of human mythology for milliennia. Just look at the Greek & Norse gods as examples. Its a natural part of human culture to invent things that are so much larger than life. The present day super-heroes are simply part of a *very* long very human tradition & I suspect has little to do with yearning for the supernatural.

TF said: and for not liking Mystery Men you lose fifty 'Tom's good mojo friendly fun' points.
Shame on you.

Sorry, Tom... I'm sure I can make it up to you [laughs]

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: am looking forward to what he'll do with The Hobbit and the movie that will bridge that and LOTR.

It should certainly be interesting!

dbackdad said: I'm cautiously optimistic about Watchmen also. Movies (and books) that seek to deconstruct and demystify iconic themes are a plus.

The trailer certainly *looks* impressive. I'll be seeing it with the guys (though I doubt if the girls will join us) and hope that it lives up to the hype..

Juggling Mother said...

" I'll be seeing it with the guys (though I doubt if the girls will join us) and hope that it lives up to the hype.."

EXCUSE ME!!!!! I'll be there!









oh. perhaps I shouldn't admit that.:)