About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just Finished Reading: Matter by Iain M Banks

As a war of expansion rages on Levels 8 and 9 of the Shellworld Sursamen, the ex-Princess now Culture Special Circumstances operative Djan Seriy Anaplian continues her on-the-job training of nudging primitive worlds in the direction of mature advancement. On hearing the news that both her father and brother have been killed in the latest advance of the Sarl army she decides to cut her training short and travel half-way across the Galaxy to find out exactly what happened. Meanwhile on Sursamen itself factions within the alien races that control access to the hollowed out world start their own war over the greatest prize imaginable – an ancient artefact buried for millennia that might be a fabled ancestor of the Oct long since considered extinct.

Matter was, above all else, a complex novel that the brief synopsis above does little credit to. Literally Galaxy spanning, it returns to what is probably my favourite utopian civilisation – The Culture. Banks has the ability not only to create a highly believable and attractive society that I would practically kill to be a part of but in this hefty tome manages to create (or at least imply) numerous other completely alien civilisations that I’d just love to visit. As always his characters – especially the machine life-forms – are a delight with very much their own personalities and motivations. The technology presented as ‘every-day’ is honestly a Geeks wet dream, from the wonderful knife missiles up to habitats millions of kilometres across containing trillions of life-forms and everything in between. His ships, as expected, have delightfully playful names and equally playful personalities but can make the really difficult decisions when called upon to do so. It’s just such a great Universe that Banks has created. However, this is not his best work. It is good (and in places very good) but it’s not quite up to some of his early Culture based books. Nevertheless, I did enjoy this novel a great deal and have no hesitation in recommending it to Banks’ fans. It is certainly a worthy addition to his excellent SF works. However, If you are new to Banks or The Culture I’d suggest you start off with some of his earlier works first.

6 comments:

wstachour said...

Interesting. I have Consider Phlebas on my to-read list, based on a bookstore recommendation. Haven't got to it yet. I'll have to make a note of this book in case I fall for the first one.

CyberKitten said...

I think there's about 5-6 in the Culture 'series', though I don't think that they are connected - or if they are only in a general fashion.

'Consider Phlebas' is a *very* good book..... My fave Culture novel is probaly 'Use of Weapons'.

dbackdad said...

Sounds like an interesting author. I'm always looking for sci-fi ones I haven't read before.

Karlo said...

Sounds like great stuff! I can't wait til I have the time again to read SciFi.

Sleepypete said...

Consider Phlebas is a Must Read :-) And Excession is a highlight of the Culture universe too.

Matter is a bit weak, you pick up a Culture book looking to have the pages filled with a story about Minds, Drones, Special Circumstances and the ships. But it's more about the politics of the ShellWorld than the Culture.

Not bad though :-)

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: Sounds like an interesting author. I'm always looking for sci-fi ones I haven't read before.

Oh, he's a *very* interesting author. I highly recemmend him.

karlo said: Sounds like great stuff! I can't wait til I have the time again to read SciFi.

It's worth finding the time. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't read stuff....

SleepyP said: But it's more about the politics of the ShellWorld than the Culture.

Indeed it is - but Banks writes about conflict, which by the very nature of The Culture will take place outside of it. Not his best, as I said, but an interesting one nevertheless.