About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, July 06, 2009

Thinking About: Time Travel

I’ve just finished watching my second box-set of Star Trek DVDs – this one being on the theme of time travel. My particular favourites were Yesterday’s Enterprise from ST:TNG (strictly speaking an Alternate Universe story rather than a time travel one – although the two are interconnected of course) and Year in Hell from ST: Voyager.

When handled well, tine-travel stories are amongst my favourite SF sub-genre. Not only do they allow the reader/viewer to visit possible futures they also allow access to the past and allow for the possibility of actually changing things. Of course that’s a particularly enticing idea. I’m sure we all have past experiences that we wish we could go back and change or the ability to leave messages for our past selves written with the hindsight of our present selves. I know I do! Then, of course, there’s the possibility of changing historical events. As all good SF shows this is fraught with problems. Not only ethical issues of, to use that old chestnut, of killing Hitler as a baby but the very real possibility that no matter how badly things really turned out any meddling with the past could actually make things much worse!

Being able to simply observe past events would certainly clear up a lot of historical mysteries – but we have to remember that the past started a second ago so future historians could be watching any of us right now. Viewing the past means an end to any kind of privacy. Then there are the countless missing artefacts lost in time – or maybe in some time travellers vault! Of course if time travel is even possible (which it might be) the question is: Where are all the time travellers? Is it like the Fermi Paradox which asks the question: Where are all the aliens? Maybe time travellers are indeed amongst us – just very well hidden or very well policed.

It would certainly be fun (if not actually profitable) to travel in time. I like the idea of creating countless alternate universes every time I travel back (or forward) in time. The question arises though about how I would actually recognise my time line from any of the alternates – and would it really matter. Maybe I could create an ideal world in the present by manipulating the past. I wonder if the ends would justify the means.

The idea of time travel is fascinating. It opens up literally endless possibilities and the real prospect of fixing our past mistakes. It is however a very dangerous game to play if it ever becomes reality. Maybe too dangerous for the existence of site-seeing tours or holidays in past ages – to say nothing of dinosaur hunts. Maybe a giant rock falling from the sky didn’t finish off the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Maybe it was time travelling big game hunters…..

11 comments:

Scott said...

Wouldn't we already know if it ever became a reality?

CyberKitten said...

Only if visitors from the future have already made themselves known - so maybe our Governments know about it... [grin]

VV said...

Time travel is my favorite SF topic and I believe I saw that TNG episode you mentioned. Although I believe TT is fascinating, I don't believe we either (a) ever figured it out, or (b) if we have, it's strictly regulated and/or controlled by a small group. Because who or what government could ever be completely trusted with that ability? Think how quickly we could wipe out an enemy and damn the consequences. I just don't trust government to do the right thing for the right reasons, so if it has been figured out in the future, it's a closely guarded secret held in the hands of a few, and rightly so.

Scott said...

I find it hard to believe someone from the future would think to entrust what would be the most precious secret man has ever known with any existing government. ;)

dbackdad said...

Time travel sci-fi has always interested me too. I even really like the Groundhog Day type stories ... Groundhog Day, Sliding Doors, Run Lola Run. It all seems so abstract but the examination of causality helps us analyze the things we do in normal life and how they affect other things.

Time travel is brought up in the Star Trek movie also, but it adds the extra variable of multiple timelines or realities.

VV said...

dbackdad - I LOVED _Sliding Doors_, saw it a few times.

Stephen said...

Have you read Arthur C. Clarke's "The Light of Other Worlds", in which scientists figure out how to use wormholes to peer into the past? I just heard of it this week. (Tonight, actually.)

Thomas Fummo said...

Great Scott, I love this blog.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: Time travel is brought up in the Star Trek movie also, but it adds the extra variable of multiple timelines or realities.

[grinds teeth]

sc said: Have you read Arthur C. Clarke's "The Light of Other Worlds"

Dunno. I've read *lots* of Clarke. What collection was it in?

TF said: Great Scott, I love this blog.

Thanks Tom [blushes]

I'm regularly impressed by your artwork. That's saleable stuff your producing there.

I was particularly impressed by the vampire/zombie piece you did. Good character, evocative setting, emotional impact. All in basically one side of A4. Loved it.

You also have a nicely twisted way of seeing things.

Stephen said...

@CyberKitten: It's a stand-alone novel.

CyberKitten said...

sc: I looked up the Clarke novel having never heard of it. That's one of his I certainly haven't read.