About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Just Finished Reading: Friedrich Nietzsche and the Politics of the Soul – A Study in Heroic Individualism by Leslie Paul Thiele

I skim read parts of this book some months ago whilst researching for the essay for my Nietzsche unit. It didn’t prove very useful for that essay but made a very good impression on me and gave me some ideas which I have incorporated into my Dissertation. After I returned it to the library I bought a copy from Amazon. It was well worth it.

This is certainly the best book on Nietzsche I’ve read so far. OK, it’s a pretty short list but the comment stands. Despite being easy to read Nietzsche is difficult to understand. My 10 week unit was enough to whet my appetite for me but really no more than that. I became fascinated with the man’s obvious genius and, on more than one occasion, felt I was breathing in pure oxygen whilst reading his stuff. It’s no wonder that the head of Philosophy was worried about teaching him (especially to undergrads apparently) being such heady stuff. I do feel that I have a much better grip on Nietzsche after reading this volume. Although academic in tone it’s clear that the author has an appreciation not only of Nietzsche’s work but also of the man himself. Indeed he remarked on more than one occasion that the man and the philosophy could not – indeed should not - be disentangled. Following a theme of individualism, Thiele shows how the philosophers works highlighted the working out of his philosophy and the effect it had on the philosopher himself. Anyone who has read Nietzsche will find it unsurprising that he went mad later in life. Not only did he talk the talk he definitely walked the walk!

Not only did Nietzsche have some very interesting things to say about the rise of the individual (a central theme throughout his works) but had some very remarkable things to say about the ‘self’ or absence thereof. It’s an idea I’m coming around to so it was good to read another perspective on it. The use of archetypes – the philosopher, the Artist, the Saint and the Educator/Solitary – brought out much of Nietzsche’s thoughts on the genealogy of the individual and how he is manifested in real life. I also now understand much more about the love of fate Nietzsche proposed and the idea of Eternal Recurrence. All in all this was an excellent book. Not only did it prove – as expected – central to my Dissertation it also both broadened and deepened my knowledge of one of my favourite philosophers. I think it’ll take years to actually understand the man but I think I’ve now got more of an appreciation of what I’m up against! It probably helps to have at least a passing awareness of Nietzsche to do justice to this work but you’d still get a fair bit of understanding – and a whole lot of references – to start off an exploration of one of the greats of European philosophy. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Thomas Fummo said...

If it hadn't of been for poor Friederich's crazy sister, more people would be familiar with Nietzsche and not make the immidiate (and highly erroneous) jump reasoning: Nietzsche equals nazi.

I enjoyed reading about Nietzsche, mostly about the whole 'death of god' thing.
Though I have some major problems with his style of philosophy... he comes across as a person who wants to destroy one religion, just to replace it with another, albeit a more anthropocentrist one.
In the end I perceived him as quite the contradiction. He repudiates christianity, but then speaks of Zarathustra as a prophet, using much of the same language and mythos used in the telling of the life of Jesus. I know this use of archetypes makes his philosophy easier to understand... but I just couldn't stomach it.
Apart from that, whilst I comply with the phrase 'history repeats itself', I only do so when speaking of man's inability to learn from his mistakes. The concept of an eternal recurrence never won me over, though I appreciated it's motives: to instill a sense of responsability in the hearts of men. After all, if what you've just done you are going to end up doing again and again for all eternity, you'd best stop blaming it on someone else and accept it as your own doing. I feel that I could reach the same conclusion without thinking of time as a circle.
Nietzsche's rise of the individual, though, is inspiring, and as you rightfully say, the central theme.

All in all I have a like/dislike relationship with Nietzsche. That doesn't mean I won't read this book :-)
I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

CyberKitten said...

TF said: If it hadn't of been for poor Friederich's crazy sister, more people would be familiar with Nietzsche and not make the immidiate (and highly erroneous) jump reasoning: Nietzsche equals nazi.

Indeed. She has a lot to answer for. Didn't she also destroy some of his unpublished work too?

TF said: I enjoyed reading about Nietzsche, mostly about the whole 'death of god' thing.

Not his idea but he certainly helped make it more widely known.

TF said: Though I have some major problems with his style of philosophy... he comes across as a person who wants to destroy one religion, just to replace it with another, albeit a more anthropocentrist one.

That's not my reading of him. He had little time for any religion or politics as far as I could tell.

TF said: In the end I perceived him as quite the contradiction.

Oh definitely. Nietzsche is *full* of contradictions - apparently that was part of his style. Because he saw things from so many perspectives he couldn't help but contradict himself. It does make it more difficult to get at what he means - but again I think that's on purpose. He really wants you to *work* at his philosophy.

TF said: The concept of an eternal recurrence never won me over, though I appreciated it's motives: to instill a sense of responsability in the hearts of men.

Indeed. I don't think he actually believe that we repeat our lives endlessly through eternity. I think that his idea of eternal recurrence was a metaphor - that we should love our fate, no matter what that is... though it helps that we should live good lives if we're going to live through them again and again....

TF said: Nietzsche's rise of the individual, though, is inspiring, and as you rightfully say, the central theme.

Definitely.It's a very dangerous idea though - because its so powerful. Nietzsche is so open to interpretation and distortion if you only concentrate on aspects of his works that I can fully understand why so many people don't like him.