About Me

My photo
I have a burning need to know stuff and I love asking awkward questions.

Monday, August 03, 2009

My Favourite Movies: I, Robot

I remember sitting in the big screen of our local multi-plex waiting for this film to start. I had, as usual, avoided most of the incessant publicity regarding it but still sat there with quite a bit of trepidation. I grew up on the Asimov stories this movie was ‘inspired’ by and knew what Hollywood normally did with its source material – anything from simply using the title and ditching the storyline of adding incongruous elements to make it sexier or some such nonsense.

At least I, Robot managed to avoid the first trap and actually seemed to use some of the source material. Susan Calvin started out as I remember her – cold, emotionless and at a loss in human company. She was always much more at home with robots than with people. The famous Three Laws of Robotics were there – firmly at the heart of the movie which impressed me. The feel of the movie certainly hit the spot and relaxed me enough to accept the second half of the film which was pretty much the bog-standard Hollywood fare of chases, explosions and set-piece action scenes.

The transition from lab-coated Calvin to leather jacket machine gun wielding Calvin was – well silly just doesn’t cover it. It was quite frankly ridiculous and probably had poor Isaac spinning in his grave. But I swallowed hard and forgave this gross travesty because of the underlying cleverness of the film. Yes, I thought that this was a clever Hollywood film, which is why it made it into my Favourite Movies list. I think it must have been written by someone who had actually read Asimov and what’s more even understood what he was getting at. In the stories – as far as I can remember as I read them 30 years ago – there was always a tension in the Three Laws centred around the First Law that a robot cannot harm a human being or by inaction allow a human being to be harmed. That’s the important bit – by inaction…. Robots must protect humanity – even if they have to harm some humans in the process. They cannot stand idly by and let us have wars, firearms or car accidents if any of it can be avoided – which it can be if robots run our lives for us – for our own benefit of course. This was the clever underlying plot of the movie and it was handled very well indeed – despite all of the running around Will Smith did wise-cracking as he fired his guns in all directions.

Once you get past all of the razzmatazz, glitter and noise, once you see beyond the action adventure genre this movie easily slides into you can see that some thought went into its construction. That’s what I liked about it more than anything else. That’s why I bought the DVD and that’s why I can watch it over and over again – because it’s clever. I do hope it was intentionally that way…. And that I’m not just reading too much into it…It wouldn’t be the first time! [grin]

8 comments:

Karlo said...

I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised by I Robot.

CyberKitten said...

Indeed. I too was surprised that they didn't make a complete hash of it... [laughs]

Thomas Fummo said...

I was let down. When I watch it, because I have to at least recognise it as a nice actiony piece of fluff, I try to imagine it being called 'Spoon and Sonny: robot buddies' or something.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I enjoyed it. Haven't seen it since it was in theaters though. Perhaps it's time to watch it again.

VV said...

The action was fine, what really hooked me was the concept underlying the story. I wanted to see how Hollywood handled it. I would have liked a little more exploration into the 3 Laws for Robots and the extrapolation out from there, what that would mean for humanity. I also liked seeing the humanity creep into the Robots over time, how they huddled together in storage. It's been a long time since I last saw this movie, but I remember seeing it about 3 times and enjoying it just as much each time.

Sleepypete said...

Watched this one again the other night - cracking film.

Quote : "HUMAN IN DANGER ! HUMAN IN DANGER !" as lots of robots piled out of storage boxes ...

Think the female lead was trying to do a bit of a Sandra Bullock on this one.

CyberKitten said...

TF said: I try to imagine it being called 'Spoon and Sonny: robot buddies' or something.

[laughs] I know what you mean... maybe there should be a spin-off TV series?

mike said: I enjoyed it. Haven't seen it since it was in theaters though. Perhaps it's time to watch it again.

Its definitely worth watching more than once - or twice...

V V said: I wanted to see how Hollywood handled it. I would have liked a little more exploration into the 3 Laws for Robots and the extrapolation out from there, what that would mean for humanity. I also liked seeing the humanity creep into the Robots over time, how they huddled together in storage.

Indeed. Too much action stuff in the 2nd half for them to explore those issues futher. I did like the bit about 'ghosts in the machine' - very interesting....

Sleepy said: Think the female lead was trying to do a bit of a Sandra Bullock on this one.

Most definitely. I prefer Sandra though [swoon]

Stephen said...

I had heard that the only thing the movie had in common with Asimov's work was the title: thanks for the correction. Did you ever read about Asimov's "Zeroth" law?